HomeTheaterMasterRemote Home Theater Master Remote SL-9000 Remote Controls

4.29/5 (41 Reviews)

Submitted by Steve a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
After my A/V Producer died, I wanted to find a universal remote that wouldn't require reprogramming every time the battery died and that could access all of the features on my Technics surround sound receiver. I've been very happy with the SL-9000. Even more important, my wife understands it! Before I had to teach her that you press this key to do that, but everything seems to be clearly labeled on the SL-9000, and it was even easy to set up my X-10 light controls so that we could dim the lights. By the way, I too started getting the RESET message. I went to the company's website and in their FAQ they said that was an indication I needed to replace the batteries. I did, and everything is working again.

Purchased At:   buy.com

Submitted by FCS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I see I'm not the only one who has found the remote to be defective and error prone (read below). After one year of use, my remote has also lost all of its pre-programmed codes. I never dropped it and used it casually. I too continue getting the RESET error, so I know I've lost my codes from its volatile ROM. I will attempt to replace the remote by calling the manufacturer who sold me the preamp, but I may have to do this once a year, as the remote begins losing its memory. Of course, I only speak from my experience, but, as they say, buyer beware.

Purchased At:   InnerSound

Submitted by Dean Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
This remote is a major step up from the one that came with my RXV-800 and also is better than the Cinema 7 I had previously.It controls all my equipment including webtv.It's easy to setup and use.The backligting is great when watching movies.It fits the hand well and most functions can be used without looking at it after you get used to it.So far I've had no battery use and no problems at all with the unit.

Purchased At:   onecall

Submitted by TS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for an easy-to-use, cost-effective remote that can replace up to 8 original remotes look no further--this one's a winner.

Although not as flexible as the more expensive remotes, it is flexible enough to fully control all but the most elaborate systems with ease. And it's not nearly as complex to program or use as those remotes either, so my wife and visitors can use it with little or no instruction whatsoever. Try that with a Pronto. Programming the SL9000 is a breeze once you read the manual, which is also very well laid out and easy to read. Even the macros are a snap to program and easy to use. You need to be a junior programmer with a lot of spare time to take advantage of what the Pronto has to offer and get it to work the way you want. No thanks.

Also, since its got real buttons instead of a touchscreen you can control most of the major functions without even looking at the remote. I find this to be a real bonus.

Some other real-world benefits are that the unit is very good with respect to battery usage. Mine underwent very heavy use for a year before I had to replace the 4 AA batteries. The Marantz RX2000 chewed through batteries every couple months at that rate. Also, the IR signal is incredibly strong and will work even if pointed in the wrong direction or blocked by other objects. Mine even works from outside the room. The Marantz was also weak in this area and needed to be pointed almost directly at the component to work. Lastly, it's small relative to other programmable remotes so it fits nicely in your hand making it easy to hold and navigate the buttons easily with one hand. All these things add up on a day-to-day basis to make this remote an absolute pleasure to use.

As for reliability, as stated above I've subjected my remote to heavy use for over a year and it hasn't missed a beat, and it has been dropped a lot. I've recommended this remote to several friends and family and they haven't had one problem among them either. To the person below, I hope this is not how you face all the adversities in life. It's obvious from reading all the reviews here and on the other post for this remote that this is a relatively trouble-free product and that you are the only one who experienced a reset problem. Why didn't you call the place you bought it from or the manufacturer? My guess is your problem would have been solved under warranty or some other way, but now you're going to have to suffer with either a more expensive, more complex remote or an insufficient piece of crap. You should have given the SL9000 a fair chance rather than just giving up. Your loss.

As for weaknesses, you can't custom-label buttons and there are only 5 macros available, but the unit comes with stickers that help with labeling and 5 macros will probably be more than enough for 90% of users. As for the lack of dedicated direction keys, I've programmed transport functions into the CD area and use the DVD area for menu navigation which works fine since I don't need all 8 functions for my system. My only other minor complaint is that you can only run macros from certain functions, which is inconvenient at times but not a big deal.

So if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive universal remote that's extremely easy to use with the flexibility to replace every function of every remote you have, don't buy anything until you take a look at the SL9000. Guaranteed to make your life easier.

Purchased At:   OneCall

Submitted by SDeC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Lots of glowing, ethusiastic reviews here...but I'm not surprised, as most are based on 3- to 6-months use. Instead, let's see if you all continue to stroke the SL-9000 in the months to come.

Apparently, the "SL" stands for "Short Lived."

After only 6 months of LIGHT (and I mean very light), intermittent use, my SL-9000 resets ALL learned commands for ANY device it can. Today, I can still spend 40 minutes programming it any way I like, and the unit behaves as if all is well during the process (i.e., the LEARN, READY, and SAVED messages continue to flash). But when any command is tested thereafter--say, Power On/Off--the dreaded RESET message appears and then EVERY programmed command associated with the device is purged.

***Moreover (and this is pathetic, plain and simple), the SL-9000 no longer functions as a PRE-PROGRAMMED remote, because now NONE of the published codes work for ANY device in my system***

This remote was never dropped--and in fact spent more time sitting in a drawer than on a coffee table--even when it *was* working!!! Hence, I suspect poor quality control and/or amateurish engineering, both of which are quite comical for a device intended to be handled repeatedly (and dropped occasionally). Geeze, did I perhaps baby it too much? Was I supposed to toss it around a bit to properly break it it in?

I have yet to see the 'Low Battery' warning, but have become very familiar with these five letters: R E S E T.

All in all, I'd say the SL-9000 functioned well (and elimited the need for my stock remotes) for about 6 hours of actual use (i.e., pressing buttons and getting results). Sadly, it was my very first universal remote, and is the LAST one I will purchase from Universal Remote, Inc.

I'll swallow the $119 I threw away on this toy, but I estimate that Universal Remote, Inc. can reimburse me about $750 for my time.

Purchased At:   Universal Remote Control (Direct)

FGH 26: