Echostar UHF/IR Remote Control Remote Controls

Submitted by haywire a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had my uhf/ir remote since about
1997. It has traveled in an rv all over the US. Dusty, moist, dry conditions.
It get a lot of use and has never failed.
Our grandson gave it a drink of coke,
which made the keys sluggish. I disassembled the unit,a simple task, washed the rubber keyboard and pc board
in water, blew it dry and reassembled it.
It works fine.

Submitted by Rachel Tortolini a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
I own the UHF/IR version of the Dish remote. I'm sorry to be a wet blanket here but I have been through 5 of these remotes since I bought my Dish system. They are unreliable and apt to fail when you need them. It is true they are not expensive so a replacement is no hardship. It seems that Dish could have made them more reliable. From what I have observed, the keyboard is some kind of magnetically coupled Hall effect device that needs perfect alignment between the sensors and the magnetics in the buttons. If anything gets between them the buttons fail. Also the electronics get squirrelly with time. I don't know what that's about. So in sum, be prepared to corner the remote market during the life of your Dish system. You will be buying a lot of replacements.

Purchased At:   Dish Network

Submitted by David Collins a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
A "must have" for the older generation

Purchased At:   Dishnetwork

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Not sure what the last reviewer expected, but this is a small, $50 remote for Echostar, a TV, and a VCR. He compared it to a $400 Pronto. I got it with my Dish 4700. The UHF is great, operates the satellite from any room in my house. Sometimes you need to hold the remote in a certain direction (vertical mostly) from a far room. Great feel on the buttons. The batteries tend to come slightly loose inside and rattle, also, when the batteries wear down, control becomes erratic, esp. of my RCA TV. So I change the batteries before they are totally dead. Also, you can't change VCR channels with the keypad. Channel up/down works, but that's not perfect. It learned both the TVs and one VCR that I have tried to use it for. Basically, there are only 1 or 2 remotes right now that can operate these satellite receivers from another room by UHF, this is excellent for that.

Submitted by Julian a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
My three UHF remotes are about three years old. Two of them came with the DishNetwork (Echostar) receivers I purchased at that time. They work fine, except for controlling my
AV equipment. When I complained to DishNetwork that these "universal" remotes didn't work with major brands of AV equipment (Pioneer, Toshiba, Denon), they told me that no universal remote works on all brands, and that nothing could be done to rectify the problem. I laughed when they suggested I purchase new remotes to see if it would take care of the problem. I tried to explain what the word "universal" means, but it fell on deaf ears.

Due to the lack of support provided by DishNetwork for this remote, I would not buy the newer one and certainly can not recommend it to others.

Purchased At:   Local DishNetwork dealer