Target Audio Component RACK Racks & Stands

2.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Very simle design, 4 point standing

Submitted by Martin Kyprianides a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
Having spent a considerable sum of money on a hi-fi upgrage in 1994, I still had the stuff parked on some horrible, cheap hi-fi cabinet sourced from a local department store seven years before. I decided, finally, in 1997 to buy a decent (or so I thought) component rack. I decided to buy a Target Delta 5 with MDF shelving.

Quite frankly I wished I hadn't - it was the worst £200 I ever spent. It's obvious that quality control at Target is not what it should be, the build of this rack (despite the welded column supports) leaving a lot to be desired. In just over 2 years, the thing looked like little more than a piece of junk.

This rack was so badly made as shelves lost all their shape - the top shelf had isolation spikes but I removed them after a while because the top shelf itself went out of shape so quickly. It looked awful! I have not subjected the rack to temperature extremes and I even ordered a couple of replacement shelves direct from Target but they arrived scuffed and damaged due to inadequate packaging.

After replacing the wonky shelves, soon they lost their shape again. Unbelievable!!! The front of the unit showed signs of deterioration very early on, with the colour coming off in places and the whole thing felt like it was going to fall apart on me at some stage. Very poor I thought. I even wrote to Target to complain about the problems with the shelves going out of shape but all they could do was offer me a set of 5 glass shelves at a "preferential" price of £65!

I decided to junk the Target in the end. Yes, it was an improvement on the old hi-fi cabinet I'd had since 1987 but it was let down by very poor quality control and the build was really not up to standard. There are other products on the market offering better value. My advice? Steer clear of Target and buy yourself something like a Soundstyle X105 like I did!

Submitted by Louis a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
Mine is with 4 shelves, about 20cm from each other, one glass plate for each shelf, supported on 4 little rubber pieces, one at each corner.

I don't understand how these other guys got their Target racks in miserable states. I've seen even those models which you have to put together yourself, and I can tell you, they look and feel fine! But I went for the fully assembled and welded model, which is, of course, more solid.

Right away the sound from my system got much tidier, cleaner, more focused. Bass is much better controlled... the whole lot. You can hear the difference. Use the spikes without the shoes and find other some way to protect your floor (e.g. coins). Fill it with sand (through the holes at the bottom of the "legs" where the spikes are supposed to be screwed in) and the sound got even better! Now my stand is as solid as a rock and that's what my system needs exactly.

I've yet to hear what other more expensive racks can do to a system's sound, but hey, I'm pretty contended with my Target (as least for the moment). As for those few guys who claimed to have had a bad experience (assuming they're honest), beats me...

Submitted by Donnie a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
Bang for the buck.....harder to unwrap then set up and this will look up to date for years to come if you are looking for that

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
Piece of junk. On mine (TT 4-shelf), one of corners in the rack did not have the support piece welded on. Therefore, the middle shelf only had support on three corners. Was forced to Jimmy rig a fix to allow components to sit on that shelf. Has Target ever heard of quality control? Made cheap, looks cheap, shelves damage easy. Gave up after about a year and took it to the dumpyard.

If your going to put something that looks bad/cheap in your living room,just go down to home depot and throw something together yourself -- at least it really is cheap, and will probably work better.

Would never buy a product from target again.

Submitted by KT Lim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
A Target rack bought in 1992.

It does not have things we do not need: wood side panels, glass front door.
It has just what we need, rigidity.

The height of each of the four spikes can be adjusted individually. So the rack stands firmly even where the floor is not even. It needs some time to adjust, but is rewarding.

The top plate lies on four individually adjustable spikes.

Except the top plate, each wood plate lies on four small vibration absorbing rubber and is designed to move about 1~2 mm in any direction before touching steel.

However, two welding points were too protruding. So two wood plates do not move 1~2 mm in any direction, because they are already touching the protruding welding areas.

Target should improve quality control.

60.0 WA BLACK: