Salamander Design ARCHETYPE 3.0 Racks & Stands

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Audio / Video Rack

Submitted by DMolisher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I followed the helpful tip of one of the reviewers below,
and I ordered a 3.0 and a 2.0 (in oak -which was not
available in the Synergy line- to match other
furniture in my living room). In addition, I ordered an extra
shelf, in order to make my own custon 6.0 rack to hold all of my
components (incl. the junky ones, actually). That worked
great, with more than enough room between the shelves;
indeed I probably could've gotten away with a 5.0 plus an
extra shelf, in retrospect? Anyway, it looks pretty nice and
it serves its function, though I never compared its effect on
sound with anything else. Indeed, for convenience I
eventually installed wheels on the bottom, though spikes
might've sounded better. If I could do it all over again,
though, I'd probably get the Synergy in cherry,
with sides and doors, so I recommend that higher (and
more attractive and sturdy) line, if your budget allows.

Purchased At:   The Sound Concept

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought the arch type 3 in the hazelnut finish, and it is beautiful. You are given all the necessary tools to assemble it. It is easy to build, but it take some time. It comes with soft rubber washers to absorb any vibrations, a level tool to even out the shelves. Best of all it is so sturdy.

Purchased At:   Hippo's

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just purchased yesterday and assembled last night. This is the one with Black Shelves. While people complain about the assembly and I've even noted it as a weakness, it really isn't too terrible. I assembled the unit in under 1 hour. It is a good looking unit and very solid for the money. I read a review for the Archetype 5 and followed someone's advise to assemble "upside down" starting with the top shelf and working my way down...great tip! I really like the fact that if you want to add components or change their position on the shelves you can adjust to any height. Another plus is you can add a shelf for around $30.00, if need be.

Purchased At:   Local Audio Store

Submitted by Jeffer a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
My Salamander Design dealer recommended I buy an Archetype 3.0, and a 2.0 and stack them as one unit instead buying an Archetype 5.0 as I originally planned. It was good recommendation, that offers more room for expansion. I bought units with the black shelves. It was easy to put together, and looks good too. It should be the last rack I'll need to buy, barring accidents. On the negative side, a couple of the shelves had minor scratches on the back edge. Not that big of a deal. More disturbing is the warning my dealer gave me about Salamander not packing the correct amount of hardware. My rack was missing a nut. When you spend this amount of money, you should at least get enough hardware. Hope someone from Salamander sees this and corrects these problems.
In retrospect, I wish I had the time, tools, and work space to build my own rack like this. Knock one star off for the problems listed above, and for not being a better value for the somewhat higher price.

Submitted by jay a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased this set up with the spikes for about $200. Compared to other rack systems that are not sand fillable, it seems to be the price/value leader. However, after examining the unit I own, I was able to make an incredibly strong stand for a SONY 32" and center channel speakers. I used galvanized 3/4" threaded rods and bolts/washers, Precut MDF board, Neoprene "fender" washers and the little rubber feet left-over from the Archetype. Ten minutes of careful measuring and a drill with forstner bit and I had all the parts I needed. All these parts cost me $30 at the local home depot (including the forstner bit). The setup is not as sleek as the all black Archetype, but both have that "urban" contemporary look, which I do not like. But my home built set up certainly is the price leader.

Premier Mounts: