Plateau MXAV2 MXAV Series Racks & Stands

2.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Modular AV Rack System

Submitted by evansm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Many of the reviews of this manufacturers product have been less than enthusiastic. I believe that this is an excellent product for the price. The packaging of these unit seemed to be an issue but I can report that the Plateau XT-A4 audio rack that I purchased from General Audio was extremely well packaged. If this is the present standard I do not think that prospective purchasers should have any hesitation about the packaging.
I had been looking for an affordable audio rack for a number of years. The Plateau stand caught my eye while I was auditioning a CD player. The unit seemed stable,non resonant and was very attractive. I have not been disappointed since bringing it home and placing it in my system. While this stand is not the ultimate stand it is very well designed and contructed. I am using it in a high end system and have found it to have a very pleasant sonic signature with both CD and analogue.

Purchased At:   General Audio

Submitted by Richard Head a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
This company DOES have a website - www.plateaucorp.com

Do a little more research next time..

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by Keith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought a Plareau Z4A in 1995 and it is a great product.The shelf brackets are welded and it is solid.Great price for a great product.
Flash ahead 7 years.I need a new rack and wanted very much to buy a Plateau DS-6A.My local dealer no longer sells Plateau and Plateau will not answer my e-mails.Am unable to find a dealer or other source for rack.
Decided,after many recommendations,to buy Vantage Point.
Soooo long Plateau.

Keith

Purchased At:   Dealer(no longer dealer)

Submitted by Jeff Meunier a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
As many of the reviewers here have stated, my shelves too came severely damaged, either from the factory or while shipped. And I completely concur with the cause: TERRIBLE packaging. Really, really inadequate for something of this cost and weight. Plateau guys: go to Ikea and buy a few pieces of assemble-yourself furniture. Study the packaging carefully, and make the necessary changes. MDF/Vinyl is a fairly fragile material, it should be packaged as such.

I called Markertek, and they immediately (with some prodding) sent me another box and arranged for pickup of my damaged goods. I got lucky, and the damage to my second set was tolerable (just a few corners dinged a bit.)

Once setup (which was somewhat time consuming), I really like this rack. I haven't had to move it to another house yet, but I am concerned that moving it would best be done by completely disassembling it.

Purchased At:   Markertek

Submitted by David Fiano a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
About 3 months ago I purchased a Vantage Point Euro four shelf audio rack from Audio Advisor. The product arrived a couple of days later. I was amazed at the amount and quality of the packing material. This thing could have fallen off of the delivery van between stops and would have come out unscathed. I was later disappointed when I found that they didn't manufacture an audio/video rack that met the needs of my new home theater. About two weeks ago I was thumbing through the latest J&R Music World catalog and saw a picture of the rack I had been searching for, the Plateau/Camber MX-1. Just what the doctor ordered. I placed the order (with a whopping $105 delivery charge!) and it arrived this past Monday (10 July). The boxes had the usual small surface scrapes and tears, but looked pretty good nonetheless. Well, I was shocked when I began to open the first of the three boxes. Ultra thin cardboard and a few small pieces of Styrofoam were all that was protecting my substantial investment from the moving van. Plateau uses the lower half of a cardboard egg carton to keep the nuts and bolts together. There was no plastic wrap surrounding this "container" so all of the pieces were scattered about. Because they were scattered throughout the box, they completely destroyed the finish of the top shelf during transit. Also, since there is only Styrofoam on portions of the top and bottom of the box, there is no protection for the corners. This product is made from MDF surrounded by vinyl. Because there was nothing to protect the corners during shipping, they were almost completely rounded by the time it got to my house. The following two smaller boxes revealed the same problems. I have no way of knowing how well this product looks or performs due to the fact that the packaging was so extremely bad. I'm really disappointed because I now have to go through the painful steps of getting this product returned to J&R. Of course they will try and blame the movers, but to be honest, the blame should be directed only at Plateau. I haven't decided to completely abandon this rack as J&R promises that if I decide to replace (and not return) this rack that the next one will arrive on one piece (yeah right). Maybe Steve Gairns should try to have his product shipped to him. Maybe he won't rush so quickly to defend it. Overall rating unknown.

Wood Technology: