Yamaha MDX-793 Others

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Natural Sound Minidisc Recorder

Submitted by ziddak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Looked hi and low on the web for a "like new" used deck and lucked out with the Yamaha. I read the reviews here and was concerned by the "drop out" issue. Before I purchased I contacted Yamaha service and they have "no known reports" of any dropout problems! So I bought the unit and I am completely satisfied. Good looking, functional, well built and easy to operate. Manual is well written and machine has been working perfectly! I thanked the seller for taking such good care (this unit was sent to me in like new condition) Overall, I am very pleased with the Yamaha and although I am a Sony fan, this unit is not "run of the mill"

Purchased At:   Audiogon classifieds

Submitted by Fernando Zelaya a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
This MD player is a discontinued model from Yamaha, but still in stock at many shops at a very good price. I payed 139+tax for it, so at this reduced price it is a very special bargain. The built and sound quality of the Yamaha are outstanding.

Purchased At:   WIZ

Submitted by Kenneth a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Outstanding machine. Don't have much to say yet except that it has performed flawlessly since I've owned it. I think I am going to stick with minidisc. I have a portable player that I take to work and everyone is amazed at the size and sound of the minidisc system, as I still am. If you havn't heard one you owe it to your ears. Judge for yourself, don't be led around like a sheep. I know you'll be impressed.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by William a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a low budget MD player being that i spent all my money on my other equipment :). At first i wanted the Sony MD bundle, but it was $299 and i wasn't ready to spend that kind of money. Then I came across the Yamaha MDX-793 at a local dealer for $108 for the Demo and full warranty. Can you say lucky. It performs flawlessly...
I tested two Sonys side by side with the Yamaha. There was no comparing them to the Yamaha. The sound is so smooth and warm. The editing features (Move, Divide, Erase, A-B Erase & Combine) are great and it's extremely easy to use. There are 3 digital inputs and 1 digital out along with the anolog connections, which by the way sound excellent on it's own. It has a headphone jack. The unit is also a very attractive peice.
I am very happy with it and the price I paid for it. If you purchase this Yamaha, you my not get it for $108, but i'm sure you'll be equally as happy as I am. It will really complement the equipment you already own.

Purchased At:   The Wiz (NBTW.COM)

Submitted by Chris Browne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I received this Yamaha unit in exchange for a defective Sony 920. . .I got the good end of the deal. Works like a champ. The unit is very large (deep) which is a little troublesome. The A-B repeat is not smooth like the sony. ..but at least the unit works. I will post pictures and typed manual on the MiniDisc.org web page. The internals of the unit is mostly air. . . yamaha could have made the case smalller. Sounds very neutral, unlike the Sony and the Pioneer units (they were either too much high frequency or muddy). The Yamaha lives up to the standard of being "Natural Sound."

I lived without the manual for about 3 weeks: the store lost the manual and remote. . .they gave me $90.00 for new one and I got the manual and remote from Yamaha direct for $47.00 with shipping . . .DO NOT USE 1-800-REMOTE. . .they were $91.00 for the remote and manual. . .Can you say scam!

I did operate the unit without remote for three weeks with no troubles. But the main panel lacks a couple of features that would be nice: mono/stereo record and time rescue record function. . .off to the remote for those functions. . .but hey. . .you only use them once in a blue moon anyway.

Loading is slow and makes you wonder if the disc is being shipped by US Mail to the read/write heads. But it works where the Sony didn't! ! ! !

Please write with any questions or visit the MiniDisc.org page to see the manual and pictures(hopefully by the end of March!)

Since I already have two Yamaha amps(M-45s), a Yamaha preamp(C-85), and a Yamaha CD player(CDX-900U), I shoul have bought a Yamaha first. . .but it is good to come home to a good product.

Finally. . .it sounds good. . .works good. . .and looks good. . .and most of all. . I'm happy with it. . .

Happy MiniDiscing. . . .

Chris Browne

PS - Magneto-Optical Discs (minidisc) have a shelf life of approx 100 years. Rewriteable CD and Write once CD's use organic dyes and generally only last about 20 years. Memory sticks can be cleared with a magnetic pulse and extended period of no use (power) while the MO discs are like the magnetic alignment of the mid-Atlantic ridge. . .very stable over long periods of time. Just thought you might like to know!

60.0 WA BLACK: