Yamaha Cinema Station AV-1 Others

2.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Compact home theater system. (Receiver/CD player, 5-Sats & a Sub.)

Submitted by Ryan Heck a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got this at a closeout for like 500 bucks. I looked at the Bose system but this has an active sub. THe bass isn't enough to really shake the wall but it enhances most movies. For the price though you cannot beat it at all. It a cheap nice intro into the home theater. High on value middle of the road on overall function.

Submitted by ted denny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am classed as a audio snob in the audio secta and been in the game for 20 years and I'm a audio engineer and have been for 16 years.I class the yamaha av-1 system as being apart of the large audio family and lets face it yamaha have been in the game for over 40 years,So credit where credits due,a very good first attempt for a lifestyle saterlite system.Trust me, when you experiment with the saterlites and the sub woofer you get good sound,it may take time though you get results.

Submitted by K-Dog a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I just entered the Home Theatre market and I was rather impressed with this system. I originally bought the JBL ESC300 (I am a cheapskate) and found out that it was being recalled. I decided to give the AV-1 a try and am extremely happy. The one I bought came without a remote (open box)and I could only here to two front surrounds and the sub. The system performed nicely, but you can not operate any of the concert effects. I was still impressed. I recently obtained the remote from 800-Remotes (they are great, it was only $75.00) and all of the concert sounds are functional and I am extemely happy. This system is similar if not better than the comparable Bose Lifestyle system for a cheaper price. The system can with the equipment I needed to set it up and mount the speakers on the wall. The sub could be more powerful, but it is passable. Maybe I am being biased or just don't know any better, but for a beginner this system is a winner.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Tee a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 13, 1998

Bottom Line:
I listened this Yamaha AV1 at Best Buy for 3-4 times and I was not impressed at all. Sound of JBL SCS120 is much better... I saw the price drop quite fast... Now it's $750-800 at Best Buy - $100 rebate from yamaha. Last month, I saw it on sale at J&R for $499 but it's no longer available (discontinued)... Hope Yamaha makes a better mini hometheatre soon.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Rich a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 1998

Bottom Line:
In my opinion, this is not a sample of Yamaha's best developments. This originally was designed to be an inexpensive alternative to the Boze Lifestyle series and the JBL ESC 550, and was originally priced at $1200. The price reductions to $999, then $899, then $799, and now with a $100 dollar factory rebate in addtion, demonstrates the system's lack of popularity. (I work for a retailer and have yet to sell one.) The system is just as difficult to use without the remote as any other of it's kind, the speakers are mid-grade at best and are shaped unfashionably and would look out of place in most living rooms. The JBL ESC 550 is a much better value; the sound is far superior, but it retails at $1299 (J & R has it for $999). Additionally, the buttons on the Yamaha reciever unit break off rather easily. I give it a 2 only because there is nothing else similar (that I know of) for $700.

BLG CP024: