Shunyata Research Hydra Model 8 Others

5/5 (1 Reviews) MSRP : $1995.00

8 silver-plated outlets, rated for 2400W at 20A continuous, surge protection to 60,000A and 400V, four individually isolated circuits, Venom noise filters, massive CDA-101 copper buss bars, FeSi-1000 noise compound, aluminum chassis.

Submitted by Audiodetective a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
Shunyata’s Hydra 8 is nothing sort of sonic liberation. Initially, I was skeptical about using the Hydra 8 in my theater application. I performed an intensive search using the internet and calling companies prior to making an informed decision. The Hydra 8 fit nicely into my system and required virtually no science work connecting it to my equipment. I instantly noticed a harmonic difference in my system. My speakers sounded more natural but also allowed the nuisances the artist intended for us to hear. I especially enjoyed listening to the sound track Notebook –track number 2 “Overture.” Closing my eyes and listening to each instrument placed me in the center of the performance. I’ve auditioned several other units including Richard Gray’s latest addition 1200. The 1200 is and absolute gorgeous piece of equipment. However, they encourage you to plug your amplifier into an adjoining electrical receptacle. They are a lot of theories to support their reasoning however, common on! Lets justify spending 2400.00’s to use your household receptacle as a piggy back I’m not a rocket scientist but let’s see how well that works under a surge condition. In all fairness Richard Gray is an awesome company but you don’t always agree on everything and that certainly wasn’t one of them.

Shunyata’s Hydra 8 made subtle changes to my pictures performance. Realistically, that’s all you can ask for when using products that perform well straight out of the box to begin with. My DVD player Pioneer’s 59 AVI performed marvelously when being fed through the Hydra 8’s digital setting. My entire system became alive as if I had gone and revamped it from the ground up – pardon the pun. Shunyata’s Hydra 8 did not choke under the wrath of my Proceed Amp 5 and processor. Speaking with a representative with Shunyata I was informed that the outlets may be used however necessary the analog and digital inscription on the back were just for reference points. Each outlet performs equally well. Kudos’ Shunyata, you’ve gone and done it again. Damn!

Price Paid:    $2000.00