Home | Reviews | Others | SCE

SCE Harmonic Recovery System Others

4.8/5 (20 Reviews)

Analog interface between pre amp and power amp

Submitted by tjmunro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Prior to getting the SCE HRS, my system consisted of an RA Opus 21 => Plinius SA-102 => Thiel CS2.4s. Interconnects and speaker cables are Pure Note Epsilon Ref, power cords TG Audio SLVR and Elrod 3 Sig. Very transparent, lively, and detailed.

I have enjoyed this set up for almost a year now. The things that have bothered me was a slight leaning/thinning out in the upper octaves, and a perceived need for more power when I wanted to crank my system to higher volumes.

I first tried a more powerful amp thinking this may be the solution. There was more power, but the leaness/thiness was still there, and sonically this particular amp was not in the same league as the SA-102. I knew at this point that I would probably need to consider a preamp.

I got in contact with an Audiogon member who has a similar setup to mine, and inquired as to what the differences were between going CD direct vs using a preamp. He confirmed that the sound was better using a preamp, but also mentioned that he was using a humble box called the SCE Harmonic Recovery System between his RA CD55 and SA-102, and getting excellent results.

I now have the SCE HRS in my system. First off let me say there are no downsides that I have been able to detect that detract from the enjoyment of music. The signal is much more linear and coherent now, details have a more fleshed out character, and are more clearly delineated within the soundstage. Dynamics, and a sense of added power have improved dramatically.

While I paid 450$ for the HRS, I had to add another pair of Pure Note ics, 400$, plus ~250$ for a CV Flavor 4 cryo'd Gold pc. All very well worthwhile additions to keep the quality of my audio chain intact. Even with these additional expenses I consider the total cost of 1100$ to be much more cost effective than the cost of a quality preamp.

Purchased At:   SCE

Submitted by Rodolfo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
This product is unbelievable...its been connected in my system for more than two years, and will continue there. It is the only component I have not changed since I bought it.
To tell the truth I do not know what it does to music, but I assure you that without it music sounds more blurred, undetailed and bloomy.

My system is quite good and I have tried it with and without the SCE. The final result of these trials is that it is an indispensable part of my system.

My system:

Sony SACD-DVD 550 player
Cables: MIT-500 (Spectral) with Harmonic Technology Truth Link
ADCOM GSA 700 video amplifier
SCE

If you really want to feel lower end impact and sweet and detailed highs, give it a try.

Highly recommended

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by gtlitsey a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have a pretty serious system, having put in a lot of time and money, getting the best I could afford. I bought the HRS and stuck it in my system and forgot about it. I have thoroughly enjoyed by system, not growing tired of it over the last couple of years that I have had it. The other day, I decided to take the HRS out of the system to make sure it was really doing something. I played a record and it sounded pretty weak. I thought that maybe it was just a poor quality disc but I went ahead and put the HRS back in having turned off the amp while the record continued to play. While still squatted by the amp, having turned in back on, I immediately could tell a difference. It was music! I'm not going to mess around anymore. I'll go back to enjoying the music.

Submitted by Chuckd55 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are my views and what I heard with the SCE. I did not notice any detail or soundstage improvements at all. If there were any, they were not of any significance. This was after 100, and then 200-250 hours of burn-in. Any perception of detail seemed to be from the increased volume level.
You have to be very careful and play pink noise and measure with a good, .1 db SPL meter to compensate for volume levels before comparing with and without the SCE. If you don't have .1 SPLM, then I would adjust the sound pressure level to 1 db less with the SCE. For $500 it should overcome a 1 db deficit. If you still hear differences, then okay.
The only difference I heard was when playing Stevie Wonder and switching between "active" and "passive" on my Adcom GFP-750. His voice had an "illuminated from within sound" with the GFP-750 in "active" compared to "passive". I believe this could be due to phase shift which these gain boxes put into the signal.
I also hear no differences of significance between my Marantz CDR-500 and Cary CD 303. There just aren't many differences between the budget Marantz and Cary's, etc. For example, CD's only have a 96 db headroom and the CDP can't improve upon what's not there to begin with. So fault my hearing perception if need be.
If you want a real change try the Audio Harmony Two. This box CREATES (pleasant to the the ear) 2nd order harmonics. The Rega Brio integrated amp does this too. The sound difference is obvious. Whether you like the effect is up to you.
My setup #1:
Cary CD 303 / SCE / Musical Fidelity A3cr / B&W Nautilus 804 and #2:
Marantz CDR-500 / Adcom GFP-750 / SCE / M-F A3 cr / N804.

Submitted by Neil Crowley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm back. This is my third review of the SCE Harmonic Recovery System. I hesitated to do this because I don't want to pad the rating for the HRS. But, it already has an average 5-star rating so this won't change anything. You can see my other reviews below. The first system the HRS went into was in May of 2000 and this was the equipment:

Harmon Kardon receiver

Analysis Plus speaker cables
Homegrown Audio Super Silver interconnects
PS Audio PS300 Power Plant
Shahinian Obelisk speakers
SCE Harmonic Recovery System.

Now, it is November of 2001 and here is my current system:

Plinius 8150 Integrated Amplifier
Sony SCD-C333ES 5-disc Carousel
Shahinian Obelisk speakers
Pure Silver Sound Octet speaker cables
HomeGrown Audio Super Silver II Interconnects
Monster HTS-2000 power conditioner.

In what is getting to be a tradition, I attempted to pare down my system to the essentials because I do not like clutter and the idea of finding the fewest components that will get the job done is appealing. I thought if I could remove the HRS, I would save some shelf space and do away with one pair of interconnects and one power cord. I like the thought of just having an amplifier and a source component with nothing else. But, it wasn't to be. I played a number of discs with and without the HRS. Without, the soundstage narrowed, details were missing, and the music lost some of it's palpability and presence. With HRS in, soundstage widened and there was more air between instruments. The music seemed to open up with that subtle, but wonderful increase of inner detail and microdynamics that I have grown used to and, apparently, will stay used to.

So, the HRS stays. I really intended to eliminate it but just couldn't. It's effects are subtle, but undeniable. I considered that the HRS difference may have been due to "Placebo" effect but discarded that notion after several with/without listening sessions. The HRS had to work hard to stay in my system and has earned it's place. As I wrote earlier: It's a host of small changes that add up to a big improvement in the presentation of music. And, it's worked with every combination of components I've had(more than are listed in this review). When I'm shopping for gear, I like to know what kind of experience people have had with a particular component. The HRS is a good piece of gear: simple, dependable and works like it's advertised.

Purchased At:   Stereo Trading Outlet (www.tsto.com)

FGH 26: