Proton 300 Others

4.83/5 (12 Reviews)

Radio

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2014

Bottom Line:
I've had this unit for a long time but had not used it in 15 years as I am in a building that doesn't allow good reception. I just hooked it up to a Bluetooth receiver and it is once again an amazing unit with great sound. I'm glad I kept it!

Submitted by Earthling a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is very honourable product of the late founder Mr C. C. Wong of Taiwan. He manaaged more than a company, he managed with depth and caring for all of his employees. His values are truly not found in todays economy where quality is a disposable accomodation for present consumers.

This is a superior table/ book shelf radio with an external matching powered speaker system. It is awsum in depth and tone quality. Simplistic with volunne, AM/ FM and Tape input and a Tape out connection. This very heavy and perfectly matched radio with its [optional] external powered speaker is a perfect match for the quality minded.

Submitted by byrdbryant01 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
Hey there, I recently purchased a Proton 300 from a friend of mine for $25.00. I just thought it was kinda cool looking and I needed a radio for my bedroom. I guess nieghter of us actually knew what quality we had. Since I've owned I decided to do alittle research and find out what I have here. This little heavy box has incredible sound, the tuning knob is nice and wieghty, I now see that it can also accomodate a tape or CD player. with this sound quality that is going to be awesome. This is really a great little investment that I made on accident. I'm not a big stereo buff so I don't know what it's worth or anything I just know it's the best $25.00 I've ever spent.

Submitted by csacred a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2008

Bottom Line:
I only listen to my local Jazz and Classical radio stations and this Proton 300/301 sounds FANTASTIC to my ears (that's coming from someone whose main stereo system consists of a VTL tube amplifier, Kef 104.2 speakers, rega jupiter CD player and other serious cables/interconnects).
The overall tonal balance of the Proton is just superb. The sound is full blown, deep, organic, dynamic (including at low volume) and NEVER fatiguing.
If Classical music sounds unusually good on the Proton, Jazz is so good that it gets addictive quite quickly!

The Proton radio has a tape in on the back so I experimented with an ipod and my Rega CD player. The ipod sounded thin but it could very well be because of my cheap and too long of a cable. The Rega on the other hand sounded VERY GOOD (not as good as within my main system but still, impressive).

When I see Proton sets going for under $100, I can't help thinking this combo is one of the best bargains out there.

Submitted by Domenic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've puchased the 300/301 combo from my brother back in the early eighties and it's been a main source of listning pleasure ever since.
I've always been impressed with the duo and over the years pushed it pretty hard until finally three or four years ago the mid woofer on one of the units gave out.
Not wanting to give up on the unit, I searched for a replacement upgrade for both the mid woofers and the tweeters.
After countless hours of searching I finally found what looked to be the perfect fit from the Dutch company Viffa.
The mids barely fit in with only minor modifications and the tweeters fit right in,.
The results were just amazing!! I was totally blown away, I had no idea this baby could sound this good
I even used the unit for an outdoor dance party last year with a sub woofer and played it with the volume 3/4 ways up for the whole night and it performed amazingly well.
I recommend an upgrade to anybody who owns this radio you won't regret it.

Purchased At:   From Brother