Panamax Max 500 DBS Others

4.75/5 (12 Reviews)

Line Conditioner

Submitted by recoveryone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2014

Bottom Line:
I did not realize how old this unt was until I read a few of the reviews in here. I picked this up off Ebay for $50 and put it to use in my 2ch setup in the livingroom. The setup in the livingroom shares off the same circuit as the kitchen on the other side of the wall, so when the icemaker kicks on or the microwave is used I would get a poping sound outputted through the system. I have read over the years about line conditioners and always felt its propose was for people that lived in older homes (pre 80's builds) so I had no real interest in the subject.

When I turn my system back on and starting playing some of the music I normally listen to, I had to admit I have been wrong and missing out on some better sounding music. The improvement was not life changing, but noticable to those that consider themselves critcal listeners. First off it did take away the poping/surges I was getting from the kitchen appliances, but the sound from my setup was improved in the midrange area along with others. I am looking forward to adding another one (Panamax 5300-EX) to my HT setup and see if I will get improvements in video as well.

Submitted by Jason Mollner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just recently had a thunderstorm here. I am using a panamax for my AV gear and a Belkin for my pc. I was at the pc when the power started fluctuating and it must've turned the pc on and off about 5 times before I managed to reach under the desk to unplug it. I glanced out of the room at my HT to see if everything was ok, and the panamax had a red light on(as opposed to 2 green ones which mean everything is ok). My tv and amp were all turned off (disconnected) by the panamax and remained off during the surge unlike the pc connected to the belkin. I'm not an expert but I can't imagine how 5 quick surges of electricity could affect an amp, so apart from being a nice line conditioner which othes have mentioned, I feel VERY safe hooking anything up to this surge protector or at least safer than using a belkin.

Purchased At:   online somewhere(for

Submitted by Dan Cimpianu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very good products,i would trust Panamax any time to protect my valuables,there are some new players in this field but they can't beat PANAMAX's reputation,in fact i even recomended Panamax to my friends or anyone that wants the best.

Purchased At:   Audio Ark

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
I originally chose this model to go in my son's room because it is the least expensive rack mountable unit from Panamax. When I received it, I noticed it had connections for DSS cable and the telephone, which the Max 1000+ does not. Since then, we have switched over to DirecTV and these outlets have come in handy.

One of the pieces of equipment connected to this unit is an old Compaq computer my in-laws gave to my son. We couldn't believe the improvement in the picture on the monitor! It looked like a new machine.

Since then, we have added a Sony Wega TV, VCR, and RCA DSS receiver. The picture quality is excellent but, since these have not been connnected to any other power source, I don't have anything to compare it to.

The 500 DBS doesn't have the voltage indicator lites or trigger for remote shut-off that the more expensive units do. I like the indicator lites, but you have to upgrade to the more expensive Max 1500 to get them and the DSS cable and telephone connections. I don't use the trigger on the other units anyway, so that is not an issue.

For the money, I would rather have the 500 DBS with the DSS cable and phone connections than the more expensive 1000+ that does not.

Purchased At:   www.panamax-sales.com

Submitted by Tony C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have to say I was cynical when paying $150 for what basically is a power strip. However, I figured if I don't hear a significant improvement out of my system, I can always return it. Well, the first thing I found out was the outlet that I had been using had a ground fault. So I plugged the Panamax unit to a different outlet and connected all my equipment to it. A BIG DIFFERENCE. The bass is more pronounced than it was, the treble more rounded, and most of all, I can hear the rears much clearer when playing a movie. On the negative side, the unit enclosures seem to be made of the same material of my cheapo Panasonic vcr. For the price, it should be built a lot more rugged.

Purchased At:   onecall.com