Outlaw Audio ICBM Bass Management System Others

4.85/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $249.00

The Outlaw Audio ICBM-1 is a sophisticated, audiophile-grade six-channel bass management system designed to be used with DVD-Audio or SACD players.

Submitted by sejarzo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
Picked this up to better integrate my Hsu VTF-3 Mk2 into a mixed 2ch/HT system. I run an Onkyo TX-SR701 for HT processing and the center and rear surrounds (Paradigm CC470V3 and SA-10R's), while using an MF CD-Pre24 into a pair of IRD MB100's for critical music listening, driving Paradigm Studio 40V3's up front. I simply run the front channel pre outs from the Onkyo into a line input on the CD-Pre, adjust the CD-Pre's volume control to the zero gain position, and then use the Onkyo to control the overall volume. The problem with most other crossovers is that they do not allow easy integration of the mono LFE out of an HT processor with a mono "low cut" derived from a regular stereo source. The ICBM makes that a no-brainer, with separate level controls for the LFE input and the overall sub output, adjustable slope, and front panel selection of the crossover frequency. I initially tried a Paradigm X-30, but I found it rather noisy and not very transparent (and it sent a nasty shut-down transient through my front channels if power to its wall wart was cut before the monoblocks were shut down and the caps had a chance to drain.) The ICBM is a definite improvement in both categories, but contrary to what some other folks think, I don't find it to be extraordinarily transparent. It definitely flattens the image of well-done orchestral recordings and takes away a smidgen of detail. However, I don't know of a better solution, especially for my setup.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by smokehouse a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
This thing is one of the greatest bass management devices to come out in quite some time. This little wonder is clean, straightforward and easy to use. It allows you to completely customize the bass sent to each speaker and even lets you run a stereo sub configuration. I currently have mine in between my Sunfire processor and Rotel amp. This thing is advertised as a device to help the lackluster bass management found on many SACD and DVDA players, but it also can help with any pre/pro as well. Just set your speakers to large and let the ICBM do its job. Few processors save the very best let you control the bass sent to each speaker individually, most cut all off at the same frequency. The ICBM goes one step further with each set of speaker being fully adjustable.

I purchased mine for a steal, but even at the $250 asking price it’s worth every penny.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Luis31 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
Folks! You want bass done right, this is the way to go. Even the most sophisticated preamp processors and receivers don't have bass management implemented the correct way. I own 2 ICBM-1's for my systems and I can safely say these were (along with outboard amplification...) the most significant upgrades I've done. My Denon AVR-5803 (yes, the flagship Denon receiver...) had its limitations. Sure, it gives variable crossover adjustments, BUT they are SYSTEM-WIDE, not for each independent channel. My Yamaha RXV-2200 has a fixed crossover cut-off of 90Hz when speakers are set to "small" (what was Yamaha thinking, then?). I know they fixed that in their 2004 receivers, BUT again we are talking system-wide variable (40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz)crossover adjustments, not for each individual channel/speaker.

This is where the Outlaw ICBM-1 comes in putting "bass management done right..." at the palm of your hands. Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Outlaw.com

Submitted by mililanihawaii a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
welcome to one of the best component that is out there for bass management. Like the others who bought the Pioneer DV-563A, I myself needed some bass management. Boy was I shock!!!!!!!! when I got to listen to the dvd -audio. The bass now comes much more listenable at loud levels. To have a Hsu Research Vtf-3 mark 2 sound much much sweeter only tells you how good this damm thing is.

Purchased At:   E-bay

Submitted by kgveteran a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a Pioneer DV563A.For the lack of slamming a good piece of equipment it needed help in the analog domain.Enter the ICBM,after making a bunch of interconnects with some kimber PBJ cables I had on hand the unit took ten minutes to setup.Since my system uses mini monitors all around and has been calibrated with a 80hz xover point it made sense to use 80hz all around.I popped in Pink Floyds Dark side of the moon and I was off.All I can say is buy this thing and buy it now.It is quiet and makes every sound complete by adding the bass to all your channels.I then put in Yes Fragile.While sounding a little sterile on a few tracks the warm bass was back and in spades.Total cost for this combo including shipping and tax was 436.00.What this will add to your listening pleasure can not be measured in dollars.Now go get your outlaw and begin to enjoy ALL the music.

Purchased At:   Outlaw website