Home | Reviews | Others | Onkyo

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Two-Piece Space-Saving Home Theater System

Submitted by DrFifelski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
It is worth mentioning that this is a Home Theater in a Box set-up. It is not a Rotel and B&W type set-up. With that aside, this unit deserves some well earned credit. After over a decade of just pure punishment, several moves, and complete disregard to proper care, this little unit still plays exceptionally well. The build quality is exceptional for a lower end unit. From electronics, to drivers, from cabinets to fabric, this Onkyo has proven itself a strong contender for the long haul. The unit is very versatile with several connectivity options. Additional subwoofers can even be driven from the Center channel. Subwoofer volume levels are adjustable and several inputs are made available to connect tvs, gaming systems and dvd/vcrs.

This Onkyo plays loud and fills even large areas with adequate reproductions. The soundbar with separate subwoofer design was truly ahead of its time, with a large number of soundbar type products being released for today’s HDTVs consisting of this type of arrangement. In summary, I have felt compelled to write this review in appreciation of a good rock solid product that has lasted very well over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Onkyo products based on my experience with the PHC-5.

Submitted by Pawel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Phc-5

Submitted by Mike McHugh a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
I received this system as a gift for my birthday, At first, I was a little skeptical about using it in my large living room (20'x30'). As soon as I powered it up and sat down in my lazy boy, I knew my friend had chosen a great gift for me. Even though this system has only two pieces (Center Unit and Subwoofer), the sound with its 9 virtual surround modes and dual-drive subwoofer create a listening environment that rivals even conventional home theater systems!! My friend told me that he bought this system from www.cyberteria.com. He said it was a steal - but would'nt tell me how much he paid. I guess he did'nt want me to think he was a cheapskate.

60.0 WA BLACK: