Marantz DP-870 Others

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Dolby Digital decoder AC3

Submitted by thezone999 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
This Marantz is quite honestly one of the Best sounding units I have ever heard. All this buzz about this thing not having a remote is a bunch of garbage. Marantz didn't provide one because guess what.. YOU DON'T NEED ONE!!! I hooked it up to my Rotel RSP-980 and controled the volume of the entire system with my Rotel remote. Imagine that!!

Purchased At:   online auction

Submitted by Marty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
Intergrated perfectly between my Fosgate Model 4 and my Acurus amps. Absolutely no problem with brightness or harshness as others have experienced. Major change in my HT system. Very highly recommended in the used market. If this fits your set-up, grab one!

Submitted by rmd a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this decoder in the fall of 1998 to get 5.1 channel as an add-on to an existing Rotel RSP-960AX Dolby Pro-logic processor. I can honestly say that this was one of the best buys I ever made. To this day I'm still happy with this unit.

The sound is wide and deep, with a slight lean sound. There is no clicks when changing chapters in a moview.

With the unit being a little bit bright. I tried numerous coax cables from ultra-pure copper to silver. The silver coax seems to warm up the sound compared to copper and also takes a little bit of the harshness away. The harshness was mentioned during a review from Cybertheater, http://www.cybertheater.com/HW_Reviews/DP870/dp870.html

Submitted by Warren T a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
Good processor for the money....I have an all separates system and this was a good fit for my situation.

Submitted by Chris Saben a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this slightly used for $350. One of the most satisfying addition to my home theater. You could make a
point about the brightness, in my system this processor drives multiple Carver amps. The carvers tend to sound warm
almost tube like. So the brightness really complements my
setup. I give this system 5 stars for the price and 4 stars
for it's overall rating. Just because it doesn't come with a
remote--Kinda silly in this day and age.

FGH 26: