Home | Reviews | Others | JVC

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

DVD player with DTS output and DD decoder

Submitted by Wes a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
This unit has an excellent interface and graphics. The picture and sound quality was very good. It does have a few problems. 1) I will lock up intermittently, usally on power up, and you have to unplug it. 2) When playing a DTS movie (Using the JVC RX-888VBK receiver) you get no sound until you toggle the 3D Phonic feature on & off. I went to the store and tested 2 701's and a 501 and all had the same problem. I then tested a sony and it worked correctly. By the way the 501 also locked up once and had to be unpluged.

Submitted by Asa a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased the JVC 701 DVD player after having several picture problems with both Toshiba 3108 and 3109 units. JVC's picture quality is much more realistic and brighter than the Toshiba - blue skies seem to capture a true outdoor quality similar to laser disks, unlike the muddiness/mirkiness of Toshiba. I'm not clear whether this is a DVD digital transfer problem vs. the way laser disks are processed or if it's strickly the players.
I have noticed however, during letterbox movies, that the top part of the screen jitters or flutters during brighter scenes, as seen in The Truman Show. On occasion, images speckle slightly and vertical bending occurs at the top of the screen. In other words, if a telephone pole appears, and extends out of the shot, it tended to bend about 1/4" down.

For the most part, I enjoy the VSP - Sharpness and Noise picture adjustments that the Toshiba 3109 doesn't have - Toshiba's picture almost seemed too soft and blury. I experienced one sound dropout during side 2 of 'Seven' which i believe is a DTS disk. Otherwise, I feel happy I've found this player. I'm still in the testing mode but I believe this player might be the one. I've hooked it up to my 27" Sony EBR TV but I'm dying to buy a larger screen - maybe the WEGA 36"...we'll see...

Shopping.com offers this player for 10% off it's $499 price with free shipping and handling plus $100 worth of free dvds...sounds great...I just can't afford to put that much down at the moment whereas Goodguys offers 6-12 months of free financing and the option to buy more than 1 year warranty which seems like the best way to go these days when problems aren't always immediately apparent.

Let me know what you've experienced with your JVC 701 players and how it compares to other players if picture quality is of the utmost importance.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Reade a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought my xvd-701 on the advice of a audio shop salesman, who told me that it was one of the best sounding dvd players available, even comparing to the $1000 and up models. I must say that i wasn't disappointed, for a $499 dvd player, i was impressed with the sound quality, picture quality, and features. I would recommend this player to anyone wanting to move up to mid range from the entry level players.

Submitted by Don a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
Harris, what do you mean by "import" DVD's? If you mean DVD's whose region code is not the same as the DVD player, then you will be disappointed with the Toshiba and practically every DVD player. No DVD player can play "import" DVD's unless they are modified to be region-free. This means opening up the player and voiding the warranty.
Giving a 3 rating since there is no "comment only" and that is the average rating so far.

Submitted by Harris a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
This player is pretty good except for the fact that it doesn't play import DVD's which is very disappointing the features are ok as there aren't that many, I'm going to return this one and I ordered the Toshiba SD3109 Player since it does play import DVD's and it does have more features then this one... I purcahsed the JVC for $377 including shipping I'm getting the Toshiba with the Atlantic Technology Compact theater ones with 2 audio video cables, and speaker wire and shipping and handling for $997 I also have a really good reciever a Yamah RX-V850, so don't get the JVC it doesn't play overseas movies, get a Panasonic which is too much $$$ or a Toshiba also with the Toshiba I get 15 free dvd rentals, and 5 really good free DVD's so consider the Toshiba it's very good... So I'm gonna give the JVC XVD-701BK a 2 because I like the remote control.

MS 1400W: