Audioprism QuietLines Others

2.8/5 (5 Reviews)

"Wall Wart" style AC noise suppressor

Submitted by BrunoB a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
This device mades my Sony STR-DA4ES receiver sound dull. It was a progressive sound degradation. Removing the quietline did not solve the problem right away. I had to play white noise (Ayre CD) for hours on my system to get the treble back to a normal level after disconnecting the power noise filter.

I had the same problem with another power filter from RCA and another Sony AV receiver. I solved the problem the same way as I described above.

I don't have any clear explanations why the power noise filters did degrade the sound. I could not believe that such an effect could happen and it took me a while to figure out the relation between the sound degradation and the line filters.

I am living in North Carolina (Durham) and the power provider is Duke Power.

Purchased At:   elusivedisc

Submitted by Todd a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
These little things have done quite a lot for my system. I borrowed a set from "The Cable Company" along with the "Noise Sniffer" so that I could properly place the units.

I don't know what "Iczerman", in the previous post is talking about when he says not to put them on the same line as your equipment. That is where they are supposed to be, along with the noisy outlets around your house. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

The ones placed on the noisy outlets around the house are just as important as the units placed on the same line as your system.

Anyhow, the Quiet Lines drop the noise out of your system, allowing the small details that were previously buried to come out. This allows you to hear more of the soundstage dimensions, more depth, and more clarity.

Everything just feels right, with these Quiet Lines.
Highly recommended.

Submitted by Iczerman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
They do lower the noise floor.
DO NOT PUT ON SAME OUTLET THAT EQUIPMENT OR POWER CONDITIONER IS PLUGGED INTO!
Or in empty outlets of your power strips.

Submitted by John Lum a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
Drawbacks:1.) only available in black; I wish they came in white, to match the color of walls
2.) the Mk.2 version is now $27.50 each
3.) unless you find a willing dealer, Quietlines are available in sets of four or eight. I wish they were available individually
4.) you need at least three of these, before they make any difference. One or two don't do much

I love sticking these into unused wall outlets. And if my strip or line conditioner has an open outlet, I plug in a Quietline filter. Now that I've got these things in as many outlets as possible, you can walk around my house, and notice that a subtle, low level buzzing is no longer present. Cool!

But I really notice a difference, on, of all things, my televisions. Cable reception, which is piss-poor in San Francisco (death to TCI!), becomes a little more tolerable. With the Quietlines in place, you can tell exactly what distortions are riding on the cable line: ghosts, white noise, magenta haze, shifting of images, etc. So instead of a melting pot of distortion, you can now clearly identify the distortions.

As for audio, I already have good powerline conditioners: MIT Z-Center, Van Evers Reference 85, and Tara Labs ISM Power Screen. Even with these in place, the Quietlines still yield a small, but significant improvement in high-frequency smoothness. Also, the background noise is dropped a little.

Finally, let me tell you that I have a Quietline filter on the API Power Pack to which this computer is plugged. My monitor is now a little more immune to blips and burps.

So, my recommendation is to start with powerline conditioning. After that, you may stick Quietlines into any remaining unused outlets.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Mark a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased to of these to help with some AC line noise I was getting from some halogen light in my house. They are on dimmers and were putting a lot of noise into my lines that was coming through my system BIG time. With the music off, the preamp off and everything except the amps turned off, I listened while my wife turned the light off and on. The noise was not subtle. ONe of these track light strips was plugged into a wall outlet, so I thought that plugging The QuietLine into the other outlet would help the noise. The result - nothing. So I tried plugging the quiet line into the same power strip as the amp, both upstream and downstream of the amp. The result - nothing.
I have no idea what these things do but the do not suppress any line noise that i can hear. Try before you buy.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile