Audio Power Industries IVp Others

Line Filter?Conditioner

Submitted by Seng Hui a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I cannot believe what this Power Wedge IVp has done to my system!!! I got this set 2nd hand at US$150 or around S$230. Let me begin by telling you what my system comprises of:1. Copland CSA 8 integrated amplifier (with NBS Dragonfly power cord)
2. Marantz CD 17 KI (via NBS Junior 2 interconnect)
3. Sonus Faber Concertino speakers (via NBS Dragonfly speaker-cable)
4. Linn LP12 turntable/ Linn Akito Arm
5. Rotel RQ 970BX phono stage (via QED Silver Spiral interconnect)

Before I wasn't a firm believer of power conditioners/filters...but since there is a power wedge out for sale, I decide to have a try. I really dun know how old is this model...but according to my knowledge..API is a reputable company and conditioners do not deteriorate over time.

Upon plugging in...i was shocked!!!! On the Marantz CD 17 KI, it managed to broaden the soundstage by in fact afew more layers. Before, the CD player sounded good..but now, it is realising more of its potential!!! It was a tad on the bright side...and "noises" do creep in to make the picture incomplete. But with the power wedge, the player is simply Smooooooth!!!! Details are further enhanced while the whole act has been cleaned-up! The Power Wedge make me appreciate the Marantz even more!!! The soundstaging is simply excellent!!! With regards to vocals, the singer is likened to be singing "live" in your room!!! And I am not taking about subtle improvements!!! In Hifi, to bring about marginal improvements, the "investments" required will be exponentially more! But when I plugged the Power Wedge on, I get the EUREKA effect!!! If i were to grade my Marantz CD 17 KI before...I will give it a two stars....but now, It is definitely a Five Star. Now I truly realised how great its potential is!!!

And of course, needless to say...It does even more good for my turntable and phono stages! 3-D is the word, plus all the acts of making great music is being cleaned up!!!

I believe this model is obsolete now. And I am very very sure that there are many good models out there. So for anyone who wishes to upgrade their system or are not believers of line conditioners...give it a try!!! It has made even greater changes than upgrading the speakers or the CD players in my opinion!!!

SFLAT: