Altmann Micro Machines JISCO Others

Jitter Attenuator

Submitted by Tibor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2015

Bottom Line:
I agree 100% with previous reviews of this wonderful product. I hope I can add a few points that have not been already addressed. I think that instead of running, any person with an interest in improving digital sound should sprint to get one of these.

Instruments sound airy and real not strident and one can pick them out of the soundstage as never before. No harsh, noise in addition to the signal as is normal for digital. Soundstage is improved horizontally, vertically and in depth. The jitter problem that most DACs do not handle very well unless you by the Altmann or something as good such as the Audio Note is all but eliminated and the DAC you use takes a huge step up. I also find now that I want to listen to my CD collection for extended periods and am rediscovering them because of the increased detail. No digital fatigue now after listening for long periods.

I have a 2015 model of this product and the price now is 690 Euros which I find to be cheap considering one would have to spend thousands to attenuate jitter the way this product does. I am using a Lavry DA11 and the Jisco has made a good DAC into a very good DAC. If like me you don't believe in spending a lot of money for a CD player and think that a DAC would do the job better do yourself a favor and get one. You will be amazed. I will hopefully be upgrading my Lavry to an Altmann Attraction DAC in the near future.

Well done Charles, you have allowed me to enjoy music again.

Submitted by Raanan Eylon a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
Incredible product.I am a classical musician,and must admit to having had a particular aversion for digital sound ever since its inception around 1983.
With the JISCO my cds are now enjoyable to listen to.
Charles Altmann the inventor accomplished an astonishing feat of juggling an apparent paradox that has to do with jitter-and achieving a marvelous balance-coming out on top.
In simpler terms the guy is a genius.
This product reminds me of ESL57,Fisher SA-1000,Marantz 10B
M-L CLS speakers-you get the idea.
A no-brainer----run don't walk in order to get one.
Enjoy,Raanan

Purchased At:   direct

Submitted by Julien M. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've been listen to music with the JISCO in my system for quite some time now (about five months).

The chassis is very compact and the unit stays at the DAC input, no additional digital cable is needed. Mine has a female RCA input and male output, but that may vary. you can choose between two output voltages: 0.5V for S/PDIF or 5V for AES. The JISCO also comes with a power supply incorporated into the AC plug.

I was very seduced by the design and philosophy. It scrambles and shifts incoming jitter to a high frequency where apparently the receiver chip of the DAC is able to strongly attenuate it. (the literature explains that in more detail: http://www.jitter.de).

My first impression when I installed the JISCO was of a more airy and detailed sound presentation, clarity and transparency unheard before in my system. Small details I've never heard before were revealed from my CDs. At the time I was using a Pioneer DV-414 (as a transport) and the MSB Link DAC II modified by Channel Island, with a TaraLabs RSC Decade RCA 1m digital cable. The extra detail wasn't the kind that jumps in your face aggressively, it was more of a revelation of subtleties. The sound became more refined. It did increase the goose bump factor quite a bit. Instruments were better defined in space and the overall presentation was more natural and very clear.

I've since upgraded my DAC to a Sonic Frontiers Assemblage 2.6 (with all upgrades), the digital cable to Harmonic Technology Platinum, and I've heavily modified my DVD player. But the JISCO had stayed in the system providing the same kind of improuvements without a noticeable sonic signature. All these upgrades and modifications were easily heard and appreciated with the JISCO in place. It's a very transparent device, it won't get in the way of other components sound, but it will bring the best out of digital.

Purchased At:   direct