Home | Reviews | Others | AH!

AH! AC OFFSET KILLER Others

4.57/5 (14 Reviews)

AC Conditioner which improves sound and "kills" mechanical transformer hum!

Submitted by Bob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
In my system, this gadget simply did not work -- at ALL. I tried it in various power configurations, in various receptacles, and with various noisy transformers, and it never had ANY effect on transformer hum. I also heard no effect whatsoever on my system performance. I respect the people who say it worked for them, but make SURE you've got an iron-clad money-back agreement and save all the stuff in new condition, in case your experience is more like mine.

Gear I tried it on:

A vintage Marantz amp.
A new H/K high current receiver.
A new subwoofer with a noisy transformer.

Environments I tried it in:

- University tech laboratory, with conditioned power.
- Home with A/C and fridge running.
- Home w/ appliances turned off.

(By the way, does anybody know what's inside this device? Anybody taken it apart? )

Submitted by Riccardo P. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
What can I say? It works. Without offsetkiller my amplifier (Aragon) hums. With offsetkiller it is dead silent. I like that. I have the feeling I hear more detail. Sound is more "silky" without losing any dynamics. Great product for little money. Thanks to INTERNET I learnt about this product.

Purchased At:   local hifishop

Submitted by Reijo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had this intermittent annoying transformer hum especially in the evenings. I thought having a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my amps would help but it did not. I read the reviews on this device and for the price I thought I would give it a try. Since I installed the unit I have had total silence. I have not noticed any sound degradation and I am very happy now.
system:
klipsh sw300
mitsubishi 55805 hdtv
mitsubishi sr-hd5
mitsubishi 6000 dvd
Cables, etc: for front 803's kimber select 1120,1020,bifocal-xl, coincident power cord for amps, everything else wired with bettercables.com (good products and service for the money). AH! AC OFFSET KILLER for amps.

Purchased At:   upscale audio

Submitted by Eric a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have my offset killer for two years and have used it in several siutations with several components.

Recently I disconnected the offset killer and I my dynamics and depth of image increased with a giant leap.

I now only use it with my DA-convertor but I am not sure whether there is a positive effect. For several components it can be worthwhile (especially due to the moderate price) but be carefull when you use it on amplification.

Eric

Submitted by Daniel Bass a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I cannot emphasize how effective this product is. I am used to power conditioners that make only a subjective difference, but this one is different. The power in my neighborhood gets very polluted, especially at night, and it caused the transformers in my Krell amps to hum audibly, to my distress. After extensive searching on the internet for a solution, I came across some articles mentioning that the Ah! AC Offset Killer gets rid of transformer hum. I really didn't believe it. The Ah! site, half in Dutch was intimating. I wondered "What am I ordering? This device seems awful esoteric." But for $200 I figured I would take the risk. I contacted Ah! and they told me about a reseller in the US and I ordered it. It came two days later and it worked! The name is accurate in that it successfully KILLED the hum. I could hardly believe that such a light weight, inexpensive device could clean up the AC in such a miraculous way. Hum really bugs me, so to me, this device is incredible.
I want to add that I do not believe the hum is a Krell problem, but rather a problem in the power grid. The hum was non-existent at certain times of the day, which led me to believe that power grid conditions changed at different times of the day. The AC Offset Killer effectively eliminated the hum caused by the polluted power grid.

--Daniel

Purchased At:   Upscale Audio