Sherwood Newcastle RVD-6095R
Description: Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro Logic/DTS - 60 Watts x 5 Channels - 4 Audio inputs/1 Audio output

Submitted by mcxurxo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
Cheap and quality product. Good sound, but a few DSP presets.

It has a weakness with the loudspeaker configuration. If you set FL-CS-RS (long front speaker, short center and short rear) and subwoofer on, with digital input (al least coaxial), the subwoofer don't play anything. You must set FS-CS-RS or use analog input... Is this a bug? ;-).

I have a Vieta subwoofer and Magnat Vintage 105 (also Jamo center and my old philips loudspeakers rear).

In spite of this, it's a good amplifier... Good purchase.

Purchased At:   Media Markt

Submitted by Michael Marcelletti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I love this. I bought online JUST before Christmas, so I was the only bidder on it and got a fantastic price, on it, NIB, with warranty. But what I actually bid on was a 6090R, so I got an upgrade and a great price! Too cool!

Now, to talk about the receiver itself. It really has all the features I need. The unit has enough inputs for me, and most of the features are pretty easily accessible from the remote control. I like the fact that the muting is a total muting, not just a 20 db muting on my old Sony. And I definitely like having the DTS, truly a bargain at this price for that feature. And there are other nice touches too. The volume for settings for the Tuner, CD, VCR, etc, are all separate, so if I am listenning to a movie at one volume level, when I switch over to the NPR station for some classical afterwards, I don't need to mess with the volume. And it also has a nice sleep timer, which I use all the time. It has a nice touch that when you select your time, it waits a few seconds and then scrolls "Good Night" across its display! A minor feature I know, but it shows how well thought out this unit is designed.

Finally, with the cool DCM speakers I bought from the reviews listed hear, the 65 watts per channel easily fill my room, which is a little on the smaller size.

I think this is a wonderful piece of equipment, and easily one of the best gear purchases I have ever made.

Purchased At:   Online Auction

Submitted by Darwin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have tried this as a preamp driving various high quality amps. I think that the preamp doesn't have enough power to adequately drive external amps in five channel modes. Stereo is passable, but could be a lot better. I use two stereo amps for front and rear speakers and the Sherwood internal amp for the center and the center channel sounds pretty muddy. I need to turn up the treble to +4 or +6 to make the dialog from the center more intelligible.

I haven't had any problems at all with click sounds when adjusting volume or sound level fluctuating like one reviewer below said.

The NAD T-760 had nothing good about it whatsoever, even the preamp outs were terrible. The JVC RX8000 was fantastic for movies and TV, but was subpar for stereo music listening. I really like the RX8000 remote that controlled everything you could want including an individual tone control for the center channel and the three band tone control for all channels. I would absolutely love one of those with preamp outs for all channels. It only had pre-outs for center and rear channels which makes no sense if you are trying to upgrade the stereo sound.

At 4125 that some below paid it's one of the best bargains around. For $200 it's still a pretty good bargain since I can use my external amps. They should put a better preamp in it and put all the adjustments that can be made on the remote and I'll pay $300 gladly.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by joker a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
save your money for better

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by joker a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
save your money for better

Purchased At:   online