Sherwood Newcastle R-956
Description: DD/DTS receiver

Submitted by Speede a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been a English Hi Fi Nut for years with ARCam Delta 90 Amplifier and JPW Speakers. Recently Upgraded to this Monster and have not regretted it. I find the R-956 as a fantastic all rounder. "Jack of all trades master of none" does not apply to this unit.
The Pod Race in the Phantom Menace Just Blew Me Away!!!!!
I was lucky enough to get this unit for about half retail at NZ$1500.00 (US$600.00)
A friend has a system with Denon Amp and Polk Audio Surround speakers and paid more than twice my investment, with little or no improvement in sound, or functionality .

Components:
Receiver- Sherwood Newcastle R-956.
Speakers- DB Dynamics, Polaris II AC688F (Fronts).
AC625B (Rears), AC552C (Centre).
CD Player- Kenwood DP5050.
DVD- Borrowed- Sony Something.
VCR- Mitsubishi E51 Hi Fi

Purchased At:   Axent Audio

Submitted by rredirector a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my first AV-Receiver.
After installing it instead of my old Luxman Amp I was quite a bit disappointed.

I would have expected a little more "punch".

After fumbling with the setup quite a while things went better.

Sound is somewhat good although in the stereo section it is definetely not better than my 15year-old Luxman-Amp).

I´m sort of oldfashioned and like to listen to the radio once in a while.

Compared to my Onkyo T9900 Tuner the Sherwood-Tuner is a piece of junk.

Auto-Setup is completely unusable since it does 100 kHz-steps while 90 % of my local stations broadcast on .05-steps. (

For example:
WDR 2: 99.20 MHz found
WDR 3: 92.65 MHz skipped.

Overall usability is nice although you have to get accustomed to it.

Forget about the sound effects ( nothing but phase shifting)

System:
CD : Some old Philips

Purchased At:   CS Musiksysteme ( Ma

Submitted by fivesightnow a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Won this on uBid for the dirt cheap price of $475 for this level of AV receiver. All of the spec's compared to receivers 2x-3x the price (contenders being Outlaw Audio, Pioneer THX series, Onkyo, etc.). This receiver is a major part of my hometheater system in my finished basement (concrete foundation surrounded by earth). Found it to be very smooth and powerful, by itself. However, I incorporated it into the equipment I have, and it works beautifully. You simply MUST checkout the DTS and Dolby Digital in 6.1 surround mode - absolutely breathtaking! Discrete 3D soundstage and background music that IS in the background (behind you). Just make sure the speakers and subs can cleanly withstand the dynamics! Great for music when using SRS and DSP modes, too!

Receiver was built in 2001. Overall build quality and fit-and-finish are 1st rate! Brushed aluminum finish standsout from the crowd of black laquered units. Only 1 minor setback - my receiver
would not power up at 1 month of use - had some bad chips - statistical bad luck, or the fact that uBid gets factory "seconds". Sherwood service was great - but you MUST send back to them direct - avoid any authorized service center for this level of product. Has been working (I mean constant use) ever since.

System :
Front amp: Carver M1.5t 1300W amp
VCR : JVC SVHS
Laserdisc: Marantz LD
Dvd/CD player : Pioneer DV525 & Blaster PC with SoundBlaster PC platinum opt. out.
Speakers :
Front : Wharfedale TSR711 towers
Center : Klipsch KSCC1 Center
Surrounds : Advent Marble and second Klipsch KSCC1 Center (as rear center)
Subwoofer : Self-built custom 12" 300W Subwoofer tubes.
Spkr Cables : 12 Ga. copper stranded.

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by scott ralston a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
I still have not finished assembling my home theater system, so I am having to run all the channels through a pair of Def Tech powered bookshelf speakers. What I can tell so far is that the dynamic range and clarity of this receiver are incredible. The sound is somewhere between Denon and Yamaha on warmth, which was exactly the compromise I was looking for. I listen to a wide range of music, and find that this receiver really shines with jazz. Listening to my cd collection is a whole new experience.
This is my first experience with Sherwood because I always thought they made junk. I would definitely consider additional components from the Newcastle line. At around $500 bucks, it can't be beat.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the best AV receiver I have owned, and considering the price I wish I could give it 10 stars in value.
Excellent decoding of DTS, Dolby Digital and even CD's via coax digital. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   ubid