Outlaw Audio 1050
Description: 6.1 channel A/V receiver. 6X65 watts. Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic and Matrix surround.

Submitted by polarbear a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
I feel the need to counteract the last review.I have owned this unit for a year.I use it for a bedroom system with Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers and Bronze center and sub;Excellent speakers by the way,I have no problems with this receiver.It has worked flawlessly during this time.I own other Outlaw products as well each has performed flawlessly.I more than happy with this product.Now that Outlaw has retired this product,I hope they come up with a more advanced model with more power.I think Outlaw is Excellent company,their customer service is top notch.

Purchased At:   Outlaw

Submitted by Secretary of Insight a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I own both the 1050 and 750. 750 is fabulous. Never had a single issue with it. 1050 is a major disappointment. My first one was replaced by Outlaw right away because it was hotter than an oven and could fry eggs on its surface. 2nd unit worked great for two years, but is now self destructing. Features just keep failing. Volume knob only turns the volume up. I can still use the remote for volume, but since the volume knob almost never gets used why should it not last forever? Infrared signals need to be sent to the unit over and over now to get it to pick the right digital channel. I use a pronto to send macros and the Outlaw is the only unit in my system that no longer can figure out its codes. Very sad. $40 is too expensive to ship to Outlaw to get an estimate on a repair, when you can buy a unit with many more features today for less than the cost of a new Outlaw. Oh well, stick with their amps, stay away from the receiver. Hard for me to even say it was a good deal 3 years ago not that it's not working anymore. I'll sell mine cheap to anyone who wants to have it repaired. I'd buy the 950 preamp but i'm worried now about quality. Like I said, stick to the amps, seems to be where they paid their attention to quality.

Purchased At:   Outlaw

Submitted by audioman737 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up review of the Outlaw 1050. i've had this product for over a year and I must say it is very reliable I've had no problem with this unit. It still plays flawlessly.Kudos to the Outlaws a truly remarkable product for price and preformance. If you need to read my previous review check it out below

Equipment: Philips 9817 16x9
Ensemble coax d.cable
Monster power center HTS2500

Submitted by BrianB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Not much to say that hasn’t already been said, just felt like adding my voice to the many others that praise this product. I went from a warm (but somewhat “mushy”) sounding Harmon Kardon Pro-Logic receiver to the 1050 for my bedroom system. It took a couple of weeks to warm to the neutral sound, but I grew to appreciate it over that of the Harmon Kardon. It reminds me of the sound of a NAD integrated I owned for a while. Dynamics are surprising, and it’s very capable at driving my NHT Superzeros – something that few, if any, low-priced receivers can do without coming off sounding hard or bright. But that’s not to say that it is perfect amplifcation – I did not enjoy its sound as much as that produced by my Sony STR-DA777ES (another on-line legend, but three times as expensive) on my more expensive NHT 1.5s in my former “main” system. However, I have since graduated to separates (an ATI amplifier) and full-range NHT 2.5i speakers, and I would have to say that the Outlaw/NHT Superzero combination, in my bedroom at least, comes respectably close to that sound.

The Outlaw’s 6.1 capability was a good selling point a couple of years ago. But this feature has now been matched and surpassed by many other receivers in its price class. It has also been somewhat left in the dust through its lack of Dolby Pro Logic II and the DTS equivalent, which in my opinion are very nice to have for routine television viewing and (gasp!) listening to certain types of music like rock and pop. But within its price class, I would hazard a guess that it still beats all the others in sound quality and amplifier build. How could it not? The “advances” in competing receivers, namely the addition of two more amplifiers on most (7.1), have certainly come at the expense of amplifier power and quality. And I find it hard to imagine its build quality has been beaten yet in its class – don’t be fooled by its plain appearance (which I personally like) – this is one solid, heavy, nicely built piece of equipment.

If you are interested in getting the best sound quality at a low price, and do not care about Dolby PLII, this is the one to get, especially if you are putting together a budget system based on NHT Superzeros or Superones, which it drives with aplomb. If you have a higher budget, you probably want to look elsewhere, but purely because of the lack of DPL II. I doubt the 1050’s sound quality can be topped in the under-$1000 receiver category.

Submitted by rightslot a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well,

I have now ordered the Outlaw 1050 and should have in rather fast order.

I will get back to this review site and give a serious 411. I’m sure my ear is as critical or more than some of the “professional” ears that I have read and I’ll be very interested to say the least.

I own a Harmon Kardon AVR 85 that has lots and lots of guts. The ONLY reason I’m purchasing another is because I bought a very good DVD deck and want to use the SACD outputs. The AVR 85 does not have the 5.1 jacks to allow this.

If the Outlaw isn’t at least as good as the HK I’ll be sending it RIGHT BACK.

Purchased At:   Outlaw Direct