Marantz SR6300
Description: 100 Watts x 6 (SACD/DVD-A Ready All Discrete Amplifiers 192kHz/24bit D/A Converters) Dolby Digital EX®,Pro Logic II®, DTS ES®(Discrete 6.1,Matrix 6.1, Neo: 6),SRS Circle Surround II® (6.1) Learning Remote Control w/ LCD Display

Submitted by Frederico a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
Marantz SR6300 is a very good receiver for audio enthusiasts like me. Using to play music is excelent and very good with movies. Some people here had some problems with "gaps" in the sound when changing tracks in CDs or DVDs, but this only happens when using "AUTO" mode for sound. The receiver really sends deep bass to the sub and very nice treble sounds to the speakers. I am using B&W (600 series) speakers and Velodyne (CHT-10) sub. This is a really good combination for a mid-price system. The only weaknesses that I have found in SR6300 is that you can not set the crossover frequency cut to the sub chennel. I am very happy with the machine!

Purchased At:   Hi-Fi

Submitted by mrc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
I wanted a receiver that I would primarily use for music. After a lot of research I narrowed it down to a Denon AVR1803 and a Marantz SR6300.

I went into my local HiFi shop and spent a good 1 1/2 hours listening to various Pink Floyd tracks from their Pulse Album and also some traditional Gary Moore from his Wild frontier album. I also had Def Leppards "Hysteria" for good measure.

The receivers were hooked up to a Rega Planet CD player and Tannoy Saturn 10's speakers in each turn to access their ability in stereo mode. I was very surprised at the difference in sound between both receviers. The Denon was more detailed than the Marantz; each of the musical instruments were easier to distinguish on the Denon but to the extent they were "fighting for your attention". The Marantz mixed the instruments together to give a better ambience. An example was Pink Floyds "Coming back to Life". In the beginning of the track is a melodic guitar for 1 /12 minutes that surrounds you like a fog, then David Gilmour's voice comes at you like a light. I had to query the staff member who assured me that there were no surround speakers hooked up to produce this. Also Def Leppards song Hysteria carried better pace on the Marantz. The Denon had one characteristic the Marantz couldn't match and that was the Denon has a more pronounced bass, more "thump" to put it more accurately. Overall the Marantz suited my tastes in music better.

So I purchased the SR6300 and took it home and hooked it up to my JBL speakers. For movies the Marantz more than satisfies. I've since heard Yamaha and Denon in other peoples Home Theatre setups and it seems the Marantz doesn't quite reproduce the rear effects as well. There could be a number of reasons for this. Altogether, I'm pretty happy with the Marantz in HT mode.

Even though the receiver supports SRS Circle Surround and DTS Neo:6, I don't really use them. If I'm listening to normal TV or Sport, I've found the Multi-stereo sounds better to me. For two channel movies, Pro Logic 2 is my preference and for DVD, Dolby Digital or DTS.

The remote isn't too bad once you get use to it.

Purchased At:   Top HiFi

Submitted by orlando smith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got this receiver for a christmas gift
it was a open box speacial. I've read the
reviews on this site and others about this
receiver and the reviews were pretty good
so i thought i'll take a chance and buy
with out listing plus i wanted to upgrde
from my denon2801 had it for a few years and wanted to upgrade a little.I must say it was a upgrade in stereo mode sounds
more clean sound stage was a bit bigger
and music a bit more focus than the denon
overall a very pleasing sound that for the moment made me feel pleased with my gift, that is untill i decided to pump up
the dvd player to see if this baby can
perform the same way it did in stereo,
but there came the disapointment i pop
in the movie wrong turn and this receiver
was exactly that a wrong turn all i can
hear coming out of the center and rear
speakers was a loud beeeeeeeeeep tried
every thing in the book to make it go
away with no luck so i'm sending it back
and instead geting a good deal on a
nad 752 i heard it's a very nice unit.I your looking to upgrade your older denon,
yamaha, or h\k this is a nice way to go
if it works write.

Purchased At:   cambridgesoundworks.

Submitted by Renko a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was an Onkyo man before I came across this receiver. I had been reviewing new receivers on the market for the past year and was considering the purchase of an Onkyo TX-SR701. The other receivers I considered were the JVC RX-7030, Panasonic HE200, and Denon AVR-1804. It was only a little more than I had been planning to spend on the other receivers I was reviewing, but its sound is on a completely different level. I had been too caught up in reviewing the paper specifications of receivers in the retail chain market. When I ventured outside of that market and allowed my ears to do more of the reviewing before I made a purchase. The receivers in the retail stores all seemed to be lacking a little something. I cannot put my finger on what exactly that is. After making my purchase, I made a direct comparison of the Marantz to my Onkyo at home using half of my speaker setup for each. I was amazed at the greater clarity, warmth, and color of the sound the Marantz produces. I kept changing the tone and balance of each to compare and then compared each with everything level and using direct source formats. No matter what I did, the Marantz produced a much fuller sound. I had not realized there could be such a vast difference. Don’t get me wrong, Onkyo makes good receivers. The Marantz receiver is just on a much higher high fidelity level than those in the Onkyo/Yamaha range. I was stunned to find that he Marantz receivers are in the lower range of the high end market. I had not realized that so many receivers were being produced in the high end market which cannot be found in any of the retail chains. The first receiver I heard at the store was one from Conrad-Johnson firm in Fairfax, VA. It was a tube receiver and produced a sound that was out of this world. I was in love with the sound it made but could not afford to throw several grand at a receiver. I then asked the storeowner if there were any receivers I could afford which could produce such a full sound. After looking at a few models that were still out of my range, we came across the Marantz. I’m glad I stumbled across it and am much more satisfied with the new setup of my sound system. I was also pleased to find that Marantz has a three year warranty for its receivers. I am not sure why the other receiver makers do not offer such warranties.

My setup:
Paradigm Atoms (front)
Paradigm CC170 (center)
Paradigm ADP170s (rear)
No subwoofer (simply had not needed one yet)
No rear center (still deciding which will work best – any ideas?)
Panasonic DVD F85 (a great DVD/CD changer with DVD audio)
JVC 36” Television

Purchased At:   Raven Hi-Fi (Frederi

Submitted by twinsajally a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is the best reciever I have ever had
so far.I had a SR-5200 and I thought that
was great,until I got this.Sound is warm
and the soundstage is HUGE!The problem I
have read about(Peak light with analog)has not been a problem.I have a JVC 7 disc changer with DVD-Audio and it sounds
like a live performance in your living room.I have been around this stuff for a
long time,and have tried a lot of brands,
and I can't say enough about the SR-6300.
Go listen to one and you will see.Also the remote took me 5min.to program with
4 different peices of electronics.Also
for the guy that said he had to turn the volume almost to the max,there are gain
controls for all channels that can go from 0 to + 10db.That makes a HUGE difference.While movie watching I can set
my volume to -20db and it's Darn loud.
Hope this helps.