Kenwood VR-605
Description: A/V receiver with Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II

Submitted by sheep a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
I picked up this receiver used from a friend. Fairly light, not a whole lot of heft. That said, seems to be well constructed. Entire receiver can be controlled without a remote (including setup), which is great if you lose your remote or don't have one. Has composite (yellow jack) video switching only. Not a big deal if you're cool with having your TV do all the video switching.

This is a good receiver, although a bit old. I'm not sure I believe the specs when they say 100Wx5. It's probably more reasonably 20W per channel, with 100W total. In surround mode, the receiver is okay, in stereo it shines and really opens up in the experimentation I did with some PBS concerts during sweeps (Sarah Brightman, Blue Man Group). Sound is fairly clean though.

Submitted by Moe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2006

Bottom Line:
Surprisingly feature full for the price. Doubles as surround sound driver for movies and for music listening

Purchased At:   Fry's

Submitted by C Bennett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am on a budget but wanted to upgrade from a older Pro Logic(no digital) Kenwood KR-V5580. I had been looking at several models(Yamaha RXV 430,Onkyo SR500) and was just about to buy the Yamaha when I just happened upon this receiver. Its a refurb and this is not always the way to go I know but being on a budget and for $89 I took the rish and it works great, just as good as my other Kenwood thats was still fine after 4-5 years of use. Good power, clear sound, easy to hook up. Has plenty of power for my 20X12 living room. And for $89 refurb or not I dont think I could have gone wrong and feel I picked up a great(cheap) receiver and now can spent the extra $100 that the Yamaha was going to cost(Yammie was $198.06)on a better sub. I have had kenwood,Yamaha,Carver receivers and so far not ever had anyhting go wrong or anything bad to say about any of them but as far as bang for the buck this gets the vote hands down. I think the Yamaha may be a better receiver overall but for the $100 savings I would thake this one in a heart beat had they been within $30 or so of each other id have gotten the Yamaha but for $89(thats with shipping which was free)I feel I got a deal that was/is hard to beat for a entry level(which is all I was looking for)Dolby Digital Receiver that should last me for years. The price for the value is why its a 5 star for me. Had it been in the Yamaha's range of $200 id still give it a 4 but then there is a lot more its compeating against.

Purchased At:   Ecost.com

Submitted by guid a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very pleased. Using Klipsch synergy series front, center, and surround. Yamaha front fire sub and MTX floor fire for rear. Sound quality of receiver is excellent - good blend for music or DVD surround

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by viperman06 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
This product is nice, it runs nice through my computer making my MP3's sound a lot better. It is a good bargain for the price, though I would like a little more power

Purchased At:   best buy