Integra DTR7.1
Description: INTEGRA A/V RECEIVER, 130WPC, THX SELECT, 6.1-CH, SURR EX => Model DTR-7.1

Submitted by Brad Ems a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
After having a medium-range Pioneer receiver driving my Klipsch Reference Series speakers, I was ready to give the latter the heave-ho for their almost punishing brightness. There was actually some music that I couldn't listen to without wincing.

No longer. The Integra 7.2 has tamed the harsh sound of the Klipsch speakers and provided a warmth I never expected to get from them. I find myself turning the unit up louder than the Pioneer for the simple reason that it no longer fries my ears to have the volume turned up. The sound is exactly what I had been hoping to get from my HT.

Hookup was fairly easy, the only complaint being the binding posts are a bit too close together if you're not using banana plugs. Setup was generally easy, though the manual was less than clear on the task of assigning the digital inputs to specific devices and I struggled and prodded until I understood what it was trying to tell me.

The unit, I was surprised to discover, converts composite video to S-Video, a great feature that keeps hookup to one's monitor simpler and of higher quality than the usual pass-thru composite connection.

Finally, the backlit remote is a godsend. I think I was going blind and getting deep wrinkles squiting at the old Pioneer remote trying to find this or that button. The Integra remote solved that problem.

Purchased At:   The Sound Room

Submitted by Vic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had an Integra DTR7.1 for more then a year now and I haven't had any problems with it. I used it at least 2 to 3 hours per day everyday. The OSD (on screen display) are very easy to setup. The sounds quality work out perfectly with my Boston 5.1 surround sound speakers. All of my dvd movies sound so nice and clean with out any distortion. Even when I'm watching my sattelite TV I have no problems with sounds. I love the THX and DTS-es sound from the Integra DTR7.1. I do agreed with other reviewer you gotta have a good quality cables to run this bad boy to appreciate it.

Submitted by nedezero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have the DTR 8.2. I hope these post are screened and the proper categories established. After 9 months of shopping around, the DTR 8.2 won out on features, price, and warranty(3 years). Integra is not authorized for Ecommerce so shopping options are limited.
Since this is my first A/V receiver, my experience is limited. Musically the DTR 8.2 is well balanced. I am using the pre-outs into a separate amp for my mains (KAPPA 8.2) since the less than 2ohm impeadances will probably damage the unit.
Loaded with every input/output option available bar firewire and online upgrade.
(The DTR 9.2 has these) Setup is easy from the remote, but confusing on the receiver.
The silver volume knob looks cheasy, but I didn't buy it for looks. Surround decoding
options are outstanding! THX included!

Purchased At:   A/V CONSULTANT

Submitted by vanabbema a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I actually have the 7.2, which is the newest version of this receiver. I have had a small Onkyo receiver for a while now, and liked it a lot but was looking for more power and new features; this has everything I wanted: fully back-lit, learning remote, tons of clean power, 6 channel surround in either thx or dts-es; all my movies sound alive; and the music! I always thought the James Taylor DVD sounded a bit thin, but now it sounds unbelievable. The Eagles DVD? I could start crying just thinking about it. I paid $750 for this on e-bay and I couldn't be happier. A lot of receiver for the money. Not too bright and not too warm. Just right!

Submitted by Burzt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am adding my review of the Integra 8.2 here because it is closer to the 7.1 than the 9.1 version. Being new to the audio market, I shopped many places and listened to many products. My conclusion, do not buy a receiver w/o listening to the speakers you are intending on using. I ended up at the Kef reference 2~2 for fronts and Kef RDM two for the rear and center. Because these speakers have great clarity, my decision for the receiver leaned to a more neutral sounding unit. The denon and yamaha were both overly bright sounding for my application, leaving the Integra the clear winner. The 7.1 was my runner up but it lacked the 7.1 surround capability, powered 2nd zone, as well as the Chad remote. The 8.2 carries all these features. The feature common to the Integra line is the ease of setup. I basically took one evening to run physical connections. One evening to set up the receiver(including speaker balance, an important feature). One final evening to set up my Chad"Pronto" remote. After using this unit for 6 months, I am still marvelling at the ability of this unit to pass through both video and audio with no distortion and ever ample power to push it on. Do not expect to buy this unit and connect componets with basic wires. I estimate the average "upgraded cable" system to add 10% to the cost of your speaker and receiver setup. It is neccessary to appreciate this unit.

Purchased At:   retailer in MI