Harman Kardon AVR 300
Description: Stereo Mode: 60 watts per channel into 8 ohms Surround Mode: 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms Dolby Digital and DTS processing

Submitted by ariel parcutilo guibincan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
This Item really solid workmanship and satisfactorily quality sound reproduction.

Submitted by lancescape a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
I recently found the HK "service bulletin" fix for the AVR300's DTS issue. For those of you who are handy with a soldering iron, links to the full service manual and the tech bulletin are below...

The two SMD resistors that must be swapped are very small, requiring a precision iron, but it can be done and it worked for me. These 33 ohm resistors can be found on ebay ($1 for 20). I believe regular 33 ohm (1/8 or 1/4 watt) resistors would also work and may be easier to solder. Good Luck.

*The service manual also has instructions for fixing the phantom volume behavior as well (replacing rotary encoder).

Submitted by gaber222 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
I really like this unit. I primarily use it as a preamp, but do use it to power my Pinnacle P5.5 center and my Pinnacle surrounds. I use the pre-outs to connect to two RB-980BX amplifier run in bridged-mono. Before I did all of that, I used this unit to run a simple 2-channel system. That is when I noticed how nice the AVR300 really is. Lots of power and very nice sound. I have had no issues with DTS like other users. No issues at all with any other features. The unit is very simple to control via the remote. I think this might be one of the last quality units produced by HK. And since I don't see myself ever going to a 7.1 system, I don't think I'll be replacing it.

Submitted by Smooothzzs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
After running in sound really smooth out for stereo. Seperation in both stereo and movies are top class with heart-pounding action movies making you don't lose grip from your seat. With a little quality-capacitor modding at the analog and power supply stage for the stereo channels, I manage to sparkle details, air and emotions to the stereo section giving it superior controls on bass, warmer mid and highs' extension. Overall a solidly- built, tube-like sounding, high-current receiver which just need a little component and power cord modification.

Submitted by ojsbronco a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought my AVR 300 to replace my Kenwood reciever home theater system. I purchased it and immediately knew i needed better speakers. So i bought a set of cerwin vegas for the front and center and mirage for the rear. Man this sounded awesome, i love listening to my movies cranked and this measly 300 watt system blew the kenwood 500 watter away. hookups were great on the rear of the receiver. I was happy!!! Until the dreaded DTS problem arose....i played and played around, finally i after about a year and a half of this problem i bought a new dvd player figuring my old one was the problem. Well it wasnt. I mean its not that great of a deal but for an expensive receiver you would hope for better. I only use dolby digital now because i cant stand the static in the DTS mode.

Purchased At:   Future Shop