McCormack MAP-1
Description: McCormack MAP-1 Multi-Channel Preamplifier

Submitted by skmkw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
I agree with the statements made by the other two reviewers, and i'd like to add that this pre-amp has, hands down, the best surround sound processor of any that i have ever heard. I do not have a clue as to how it works except that it is strictly analog with no digital processing. It makes both movies and music sound about as realistic, in terms of space retrieval, as anything you can buy. This unit is rock-solid reliable, and easy to use. The digital volume and balance display is quite straightforward. Mainly, however, this unit excels as a stereo preamp, and as such it can compete with the best. I am giving it 5 stars because i flat do not believe there is much room for improvement.

Submitted by oaqm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
The McCormack MAP-1 is a single-ended 6 channel analog preamplifier. All the processing/decoding of playback must be performed by the CD/DVD player. There is NO analog/digital conversion done by the MAP-1 at all. This lends itself to some remarkably clean playback of multichannel audio SACDs and audio DVDs. The MAP-1 has 2 six-channel inputs, 1 six-channel output, 1 two channel tape-output, and 3 two-channel inputs. A phono stage is an option for an added cost of approximately $500.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by FL_audio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
I ran across this pre-amp one day while surfing the net and thought it was a great idea if one want's the purest sound without all of the gimmicks and on-screen menus to wade through. At $2400 it was a little more than I wanted to spend.
There was a promotion on a dealer site on the net for the NAD S170i brand new for $1850 along with the matching S250 amp for $1200 so I bought them. I guess maybe NAD is going to discontinue the line or something. I ended up being disappointed with the NAD and it went back. I'm mostly into music and concert DVD's. I only throw in a movie every once in awhile.
A couple of months later I ran across the MAP-1 on audiogon for $1850 new in the box. I emailed the seller and asked if it was possibble to get the factory warranty. He agreed to pay a $50 re-stock fee to the dealer for a new receipt and he also picked up the shipping. I was really happy with the deal.
It's just about all I could ask for; sounds great and is simple to use. The remote has a grand total of 11 buttons on it! Quite a difference from the NAD HTR-2 remote. I've since purchased the B&K Reference 200.5 amplifier to pair it with.
The ARM mode is spectacular on 2 channel sources if one takes the time to adjust the speaker settings as they suggest. I find myself using it all the time now on my CD's. The manual as previously stated is only 4 pages but it's all there if one reads carefully.
I don't agree with a previous reviewer saying the volume is confusing. A volume setting of 051 and one half will read 051., not 051.5 as is clearly stated in the manual.
Now I need to upgrade to a better DVD player since the MAP-1 depends on the player to decode DD and DTS. My Toshiba only passes thru DTS, it will not decode it.
I'm giving it an overall rating of 5 stars and 5 for value since I see it now retails for $2495.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by mkregnes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is simply a pre-amp (expanded Pre-Amp RLD-1) that has the standard inputs and outputs and those that are necessary for routing Home Theater but it offers no DAC's, Bass Management. etc. The focus of this unit is music....Home Theater is 2nd. The build quality is excellent, the sound is excellent this unit distributes the signals to all of the necessary speakers whether it is Stereo -or- Home Theater. I have marked this overall rating down because of the lousy owners manual. I would buy it again.

System:
MAP-1
Rogue Magnum 120's
B&K 3 Channel Amp (Center and Surrounds)
Toshiba DVD (9200)
Nakamichi Dragon
Vandersteen 3a Signatures
2 Hsu Subwoofers (1220)
Son of Ampzilla (Sub-Amp)
Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnects