Krell Home Theater Standard
Description: home theater preamp/processor

Submitted by Harris Wood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought a Krell HTS based on the company's reputation for great sounding and nearly indestructible gear. It is both of these things, but a joy to own it is not.

The on-screen display function is actually a "non-function." It is finicky and so non-"user freindly" that you could aptly call it "user-hostile." The manual is even worse- it doesn't even tell you how to use the "non-function," but instead references some pamphlet/accompanying materials which the manual refers to as a "Read Me First" flyer. Too bad I'm not rich because if I were the HTS would be a "flyer" to- right out my freakin' window.

Perhaps even worse is the 2 second long silence when a CD starts up. Purportedly it takes the Krell a little while to "lock on" to the signal (bla bla bla). Funny- the cheap Korean-built DVD player/home theater combo I bough for my Mother's 19" TV has no problem "locking on" to the signal from the get-go. Must be because it cost $400.00 instead of $5,000.00. Superio "American engineering" my keester.

Luckily Krell's tech support folks over in Connecticut are very helpful. If you like having somehting work right out of the box, and having a manual that is accurate, complete, and easy to use, you might look to another manufacturer.

Purchased At:   Houston

Submitted by muzz777 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Exceptional unit in everyway. Nothing even comes close for the money. Hts2 upgrade is the best sounding unit on the market! Go listen if you do not believe me. Pre-amp section is incredible! The processing is just as great!Must get the HTS2 or upgrade for zone2 control and better dacs plus 7.1channel input.

Purchased At:   harvey

Submitted by dts a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have previously review the HTS ver. 1 back in 2000 and I recently took advantage of Krells generousity by trading in my old unit for $4000 and purschasing the HTS 7.1 + 4000. I thought things could not get much better than I already had it but boy was I wrong. The first and most notably difference is the bass control. The 7.1 allows to adjust the crossover, in the old unit is was locked to 80. This reallt made a big improvement because I dropped the crossover down to 60 and that made my Velo a non factor in Two channel listening. The second thing and I believe the most significant is that it has a "PREAMP" mode which allows your analog signal to go directly through the processor without being converted into a digital signal only to be sent back as an analog signal. This kind of smoothed out the Krell's upfront and in your face approach which I still don't mind but it's nice to have more options for your listening pleasures. The third major difference was the depth, soundstage and bass. As stated above, I thought I had this but the 7.1 really, really enhanced the music that was coming out of my Martin Logan Odyssey's. Home Theater is superb! No need to go any further than that regarding the 7.1's performance. The old unit had a 2lb. remote made out of steel. The unit's remote is waffer style and no back light. I already had everything programmed into my Pronto from the old unit so nothing had to be changed. Overall, for those who have the older version of this unit I would recommend plunking down the 4K to get the best processor on the market.

Purchased At:   KRELL

Submitted by opieie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Hello all, This review is for the Krell HTS-1 I have been searching for either a Pre-Pro or receiver over the last eight months or so and during this process I have had in my home at least one week for each piece each of the following Theta Casablanca, Theta Casanova, Lexicon DC-1 version 4.0, B&K AVR305, Pioneer Elite VSX-45tx, 47tx, 49tx, and a Marantz SR7200 so as you can see I have tried things from the most expensive pre pro to about down to the mid to low priced receiver and the Krell absolutely blows them all away and not by a small margin I mean when my wife notices the difference that,s amazing I have read many times where people say they are hearing things that they never heard before in movies they have watched many times and with all the pieces that I have tried I never experienced this until I got the Krell this thing extracts every single bit of information off of a DVD it's just unreal and it is also by far the simplest one to set up I have used it takes maybe ten minutes and I have not experienced any of the two second delays or loss of audio during layer changes or switching tracks on CD's everyone here talks about and someone here mentioned that Pro Logic could not be applied to mono movies but I have not had any problems using Pro Logic with anything I have played on it I like this unit so well it makes me want to get the new 7.1 version but that will have to wait a while as far as receivers go at least the ones I tried I would have to say that the best one for the money spent is the Pioneer Elite VSX-45tx anyway if you are looking for a pre pro you really must try the Krell HTS-1 as it is the best there is at extracting every single detail there is in a movie soundtrack period and two channel just sounds absolutely fantastic also. The only complaint I have is the fact that
Krell advertised this piece as being future proof and then never came up with any upgrades for it they just introduced a new model which made anyone wanting to upgrade spend a huge amount of money all over again which I think was kind of crappy of them.

Submitted by john stevens a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have an HTS 1. BUGS! BUGS! BUGS! in this POS. There is a delay every time you change channels in SAT mode. This unit mistakes the brief lack of sound as a lost signal and takes a few seconds(!!!!) to restore the sound. They need to spend more time on the software before shipping this stuff out!!!!! Also the hissing noise at higher volumes is substantial when in digital mode. Also the volume level goes to at least 99, but in actuality it shouldn't go above 38 or so unless you want to arc weld your voice coils. 38 levels sounds OK until you consider that you can't hear anything until you get to around 18 or so on the level. This leaves a whopping 20 levels for volume. I find myself desiring levels between the 20 offered, so that others in the home can sleep, and I can hear. Way too much hissing noise and clicking relays for a Krell. By the way, the unit has been tested and it is working up to specs. I think some of these reviews are written by Krell dealers and/or Krell, because there is no way Krell people are happy with the HTS 1 in terms of sound.