B&K Components  AVP4090

Submitted by Johnny 5 a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just picked this unit up from my local dealer after having tried almost every pre-amp on the market foe the last 2 years. My conclusion is that for the money you will have a hard time beating the sound from this unit. It has not got all the bells an whistles or THX ratings but the important thing is that it sounds GREAT! For 2 channel stereo music I am using my sont DVD 7000s as a transport and the D/A in the B&K is wonderful, the detail is great and there is a warmth to it that seems to be lost with the Anthem AVM 2 . Surround is as good as any I have tried, the key being to set your speaker levels with a sound meter. Overall I feel that there are a few shortcommings as far as gadgets and toys go, but if you care more about sound and less about having a cool remote or the latest buzz word, then this is the pre-amp for you!

Submitted by Kurt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm writing a few remarks as I prepare to ditch this unit.
I have had nothing but trouble with it from the outset. It often times locks up and takes multiple hard and soft resets in order to get it functioning, again. B&K's tech. dept. admits a problem. They said that it's caused by slight variations in current. They said that they have never been able to realize a fix for it and suggested that I add a UPC between my wall socket and the unit. I did this and it didn't help.

The retailer from whom I purchased it, discontinued carrying B&K products, allegedly because of these problems with other units. B&K's technician told me that that the problem seems to be more pronounced in the midwest (because of the power grid?).

B&K's "customer service" representative told me that the problem was mine, not the unit and the company has never acknowledged any of the correspondence from me or my lawyer.

Congratuations to those of you who have been lucky enough to have a faultless unit. It does sound great when it works. Mine is going into its box and up to the attic.

Purchased At:   Classic Stereo

Submitted by Frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
When I was in the market for an AC3 surround sound processor, I wanted something upgradable, software and hardware. The B&K fits the bill. I had a Fosgate Model 4, and it was great for that time period. I was considering the Meridian AV box for twice the price.

I initially thought it was a good buy. However, it didn't even have the capabilities of S-Video switching that my Fosgate had. In addition, hooking it up to a digital SAT signal needed an extra coax to optical out.

It has problems moving from AC3 digital to regular pro logic. In addition, I had several problems with it not recoginizing inputs (digital or analog). I wished it was my fault, but it also acted up at the dealer. I sent it back and that problem was fixed, but not the 10 second switching delay between digital signals from a satellite feed.

After only owning it for 1.5 years, I think its my weak link in my ssystem. I've been very unhappy with its overall build quality and feature richness.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Listen Up Audio

Submitted by Richard a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing unit, if you do not need optical inputs. Keep in mind that the industry seems to be moving toward optical outputs on most DVD players and HDTV decoders.

Sounds incredible.

Submitted by Greg a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I keep attempting to find reasons to upgrade this A/V preamp processor.....But I can't find any other preamp anywhere close to its price range that betters the performance of the AVP4090. I can't understand why anyone would spend thousands of dollars more for some of the exotic A/V preamps on todays market. The AVP4090 is simply the finest product of its kind below the $5000 price point. To think I've seen some of these for sale as low as $1200 is an incredible buy for some one. I wouldn't part with mine for twice that amount. What are you going to replace it with for that amount of money? Answer: NOTHING.