AMC AV81HT-DD

Submitted by Hugo Casas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love this unit the sound quality in the dolby digital mode is great specially when used with a DVD player. It feels like I am the movie theater. If you have the chance to purchase one do so but not at full price. A little difficult to set up but and to use the different modes but once you do you will love it.

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by Cass Goodwin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
This preamp is simply superb for the money. All freqencies are reproduced accurately and cleanly (and quite often loudly). Top quality product for minimal price. I have it coupled to a Luxman M-363 power amp (if you have one of these, or know someone with one, please email me, i wish to know some specs for it) and the warm power amp and neutral preamp make a spectacular overall sound. The remote is a little lightweight, but i don't tend to use it anyway. Overall it is an excellent addition to my system.

Submitted by Mark a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased directly from a dealer as a floor model. I believe that AMC is going to discontinue all products in Canada. I like the way this unit works and sounds. Presently only using two channel stereo but I'm looking forward to purchasing a 3-channel amp and trying the DD feature.

Submitted by Dennis a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is actually a review for the Dolby Pro Logic version, (AV81HT)which I believe is identical in all other respects.

Although I primarily use this in a seperate Home Theater system, I have "evaluated" this with much higher priced gear. Overall this is a surprisingly accurate and musical performer. While it may lack some of the "warmth" of tubes, if accuracy and a low noise floor are your criteria,
you would be hard pressed to do better than this pre amp without spending A LOT nmoere money.

If your upgrading from a Dolby receiver (no matter what brand) you will also probably be shocked at how much more real sounding and transparent DVD soundtracks will be reproduced through this pre amps processor.

Submitted by Ross a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
First I should say I got my AMC unit used from a motivated seller for $500 (retail $1400), and this review takes that into account. Second, in my 4 months of listening I am extremely happy with the sound in both 2-channel and Prologic/Dobly Digital surround. I needed a preamp that would serve in a combined home theater/music system. I also wanted a unit that would not use A/D converters, given my significant love for, and investment in, analog (turntable, tuner). Lastly, I needed a unit that the family could operate w/out my preparing typed instructions on top of the preamp. I studied all the new pre/pros that have come out in the past couple years, and was frankly dissatisfied. Too complicated (c'mon, sure everything is easy to operate if it's your passion, if you play w/ it and tweak it...but that's not usually the case for everyone living with you!). Cost was a factor, too. While the stuff I really wanted was $4000 (PAV/PDSP, Theta) the $2000 stuff didn't meet my criteria. Enter the AMC-AV81HTDD, mostly analog in design w/ the digital chips basically added on. With the AMC unit I was able to use my existing high-end tuner, and I sprang for a new phono preamp (together the tuner and phono retail for about $1300), giving me much better playback capabilities than units w/ these features built in. The AMC is simple to operate. I am soooooo happy with this you would not believe. Not sure I would pay full retail....for $1400 you're getting close to the price of other units that give folks the added flexibility and features that they seem to crave.