Bose 201 Series V
Description: Exclusive Bose technology delivers remarkably spacious sound. These speakers offer performance and style for the music that moves you and the movies that keep you pinned to your seat. Just listen and youll understand why theyre so popular. <ul> <li>bass-reflex design</li> <li>recommended power 10-120 watts with receivers rated at 8 ohms</li> <li>black or light cherry vinyl finish</li> <li>13-1/2"W x 8-1/16"H x 8-9/16"D</li> </ul>

Submitted by Jean a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
Zildjian 102 you surely haven't heard anything but just BOSE have you. 1st of all, 8 inch is not a "subwoofer" but only a woofer. Generally you will need at least a 10 inch to be able to reproduce extra low frequencies. And 6.5 inch doesn't mean its better than 4 inch, for a great midrange the cone has to be light and fast to reproduce mid frequencies accurately without cone distortion especially in high volume...this is what BOSE failed to achieve, if you are saying bigger cones is better than smaller ones than take a look at KEF Blade, one of the worlds finest speaker which only uses 5 inch "woofer". I've audition these 201, 203 and there are absolutely no detail and neither focus at all, and it did struggled to reproduce acoustic guitar notes accurately. Moving on to the tweeter...just excessively bright and unbalanced compared to the mids/lower mids. For the same amount of money, most of us whose understand more about sound reproduction will rather go for Cambridge Audio S30 or Q Acoustic 2010 or stretch a bit more to get Kef q100. BOSE so far is just good at aggressive marketing and advertising, what you are hearing with Bose is the reflective tweeter reflecting in a room inaccurately to give you a fake soundstage and colouration tricking your brain that the speakers are "loud for it's size". The only decent speaker in the BOSE line up is the 901 but then again it's way too overpriced, you can get better speakers at that price.
The only Bose-bashers out there are the ones that listened to other speakers and know what accurate speakers are and not speaker coloration.
The ones that love Bose are the ones that already bought it.

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Bottom Line:
NIce speakers for my small room.. great sound but needs a sub with the Sony amp I am using. Nice clear highs and good mid range but not much bass. this could be the amps fault and not the 201's.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Electrojim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
I just replaced a pair of older Polk 8T "towers" with these Bose 201 Series V. The 201s sound less like a 'speaker-in-a-box' than anything I have run across in a system of this size; that is, no audible coloration in the low-mid (voice) range I wall-mounted these with the Bose brackets specified for the 201/301s, but had to modify the bracket so that it would not be visible peeking over the top. The brackets evidently work fine with the 201 Series IV, but a larger connector panel on the Series V forces the bracket to sit too high. A bit of hacksawing and filing fixed this. Very impressed with the sound of these when used in conjunction with a Miller/Kreisel powered subwoofer.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by tryn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
I got these speakers in a deal for a Harmin Karden AVR-225, Bose 201, center and surrounds for $400.00. It was a deal I haven't regreted. So, being pushed to a SOLID 75 watts is nothing for these speakers. Bass can get a bit off but if you have even a small sub like my weak Yamaha...no problem.

First, I do like the highs of these speakers, they can reproduce very clearly the absolute highs you'd expect in some music, and the bass is there, it can be superb at mid to low level volumns. I have rocked to a wide variety of music with these and today listened to some classic Ozzy (Revolations, Mother Earth) I was very pleased at the range I heard. Rescently I had been listening to Metallica and I had to switch to an old pair of JBL S-38's to see I was missing anything.

My answer to that was that I had been, though a very shallow one. The JBL (right before I blew a mid) was difinatly more refined in the mid-range. I was hearing things that the Bose missed. Currently I'm trying to set up the Bose to a better mid level. But I had changed nothing for the JBL.

My JBL were rated at 175 watts or so, but apparently the Bose stood up better. Being that they cost me at least 3 times less, I could not be more pleased. Again today when I was listening to the Bose, at very high levels of volumn, I caught highs the JBL did not produce. Over all the Bose have a good sensitivty, a great wide range sound and a good price for what you get. (Even in the store). I have a great ear for music and many a friend has asked about my set-ups, even when they own the same things.

Be patient and listen to these little dolls and it will pay off! Try moving them around, adjusting the cut-off setting on your amp and sub, and let thier little foot print rock.

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by ayellowcow1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
if your thinking about a set of good bookshelf speakers these are the ones!!! they have good bass and a strong mid range there somewhat small and styleish. the direct reflecting thing works it sounds like 5.1 out of a 2.1 system. these are good speakers.

Purchased At:   best buy