Tannoy P10

Submitted by Dave Chadderton a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
These speakers were bought as a 'budget' buy to accompany my brand new Arcam Alpha 8SE CD, Alpha 8R Amp and Sony MD-JE520 minidisc.
I had tested Tannoy Revolution R1s, Mercury M2.5s, Kef Q15s, AE Aegis 1s and B&W DM601s. My budget was £200 (ukp) plus stands (Alphason Akros 60s) so I had originally discounted the P10s - Sound & Vision (Bolton, UK) had them on offer for £175, and a quick test persuaded me to buy them without question.

I use them bi-wired; the imaging is first rate, clarity superb and there's not too much bass for my smallish room. I have now re-listened to most of my CD collection - Massive Attack's 'Protection' takes on a new perspective, The Corrs' 'What can I do?' now reveals a few more instruments in the background, and Miles Davis' re-issue of 'Sketches of Spain' is beautifully reproduced. Don't just think that these speakers are more at home with gentler music - they can rock with the best of them, as Joe Satriani's 'Surfing with the Alien' and The Smashing Pumpkins' 'Tonight, Tonight' prove.

Top rate speakers at a steal in the UK - most suppliers have them on offer at considerably less than their intended £300+ RRP. The only snag so far - my wife doesn't like the look of them!

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by J. Orozco a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1998

Bottom Line:
I think that they are fantastic too. Bass is amazing at this price and size. Pleace, do not make conclusions before a long breake in (50 hours or more)!!! Soundstage is big and emotive with good depth and focus. Female voices are beautifuly articulated and male voces have power and depth.I found that 80cm from the rear wall to the baffle and 1.8m one for the other is a good place. I don't align the tw. to my face but to the geometrical center of my rectangular (3,7x8m) room. Best if you have a sweet amp.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Eric Kraal a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 1998

Bottom Line:
They are fantastic. I don't know how Tannoy did it. Beautifully build en with great sound. Clear treble, open mid and a dry low bass. The bass seems lower than what i think was possible for such a small cabinet. The construction of the tweeter contributes to a wide 'sweetspot'. There's also a lot of depth and the music is free of the speakers. Give them a set of good stands, they deserve it!